The new scam same as the old scam

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nec_V20

The new scam same as the old scam

Post by Nec_V20 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:46 pm

How do you turn a 4770K into a 4790K? Delid it, scrape off the thick black glue of the IHS put on some decent TIM, put on a thinner layer of silicon glue around the IHS, replace it - and Bob's your auntie.

It was (and is) very easy to delid the 4770K, all you need is a vice and you place the PCB on one side of the vice and then the flat side of the IHS on the other and just slowly close the vice and the lid would loosen, do this around the IHS and it comes off easily.

Not only was the inferior TIM gloobed on so thick onto the 4770K but also the IHS was so far away from the CPU that it could not be cooled properly and stable overclocks (unless you were lucky) were limited to 4.4 GHz. After delidding, applying good TIM and lowering the IHS closer to the CPU the same setting would allow for an overclock of 4.7 GHz with lower temperatures.

How do you turn a 6700K Skylake CPU into the next generation Skylake CPU? Quite easy, delid the CPU, get rid of the garbage Intel sloshed on it in lieu of TIM, then glue back the lid with a thinner layer of silicon glue.

What difference does that make? Running the 6700K overclocked to 4.6GHz at 1.376 Volts and running a benchmark software the average temp across the cores was 80.75 degrees Celsius. After the delid, running the 6700K at 4.6GHz at 1.376 Volts the average temp across the cores was 68.5 degrees Celsius.

One major difference between the 4770K/4790K and the 6700K is that Intel made the PCB of the CPU thinner essentially making the safe and easy vice method of delidding the CPU impossible. Koinkidingk? I think not. Luckily it is a lot easier to use the razor blade method on the 6700K to delid it safely than it was on the 4770K/4790K.

Nobody is going to tell me that Intel doesn't know how to apply good TIM and put on the IHS optimally.

This kind of scam is nothing new and IBM used to do it with their mainframes and then again when they introduced their MCA (MicroChannel Architecture) bus. They artificially crippled the hardware so that they could introduce an "upgrade" and herald in another round of sales. In IBM parlance it was called the "Golden Screwdriver".

Don't even get me started on the scam which is the Apple Mac Pro (the thing that looks like an offspring of the liaison of a Dalek and a trash can).

This scam is so cynical and egregious that it beggars the mind to contemplate it.

So Apple bungs all this high end Intel and AMD hardware into the little cylindrical case, and all the fanboys go wild.

The thing is that the hardware inside, if you were going to run it flat out at the highest performance would require around 700 Watt of power. The Apply Mac Pro has a 450 Watt PSU. So you are buying really high end hardware that you can NEVER take full advantage of right from the get-go.

But wait, it gets worse. Apple for its "revolutionary" cooling solution uses aluminium which is only half as efficacious at dissipating heat than copper for the CPU and two GPUs, now comes the kicker, if you do run the hardware so that it is drawing what the PSU has to offer then the temperature of the CPU and GPU are between 95 and 97 degrees Celsius with the dinky 140mm fan on the top going like the clappers at 44.7 dBA

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7603/mac- ... te-2013/14

So now we know why it only has a 450 Watt PSU and that is because the cooling solution implemented on the Mac Pro would not be able to handle any more.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Re: The new scam same as the old scam

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:48 am

that is interesting.

dreamalittle

Re: The new scam same as the old scam

Post by dreamalittle » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:47 am

the delidding of 6700k's is super interesting. there should be mod shops that offer this for free and maybe start standardising 5ghz overclocks or something stupid :lol:

also interesting comments about the apple mac pro, my two cents working in industry with people that use them a lot and also custom pc's and render farms and all the different shooting and editing environments, i think that like usual apple aren't really going for the min/max performance/dollar, which on the other hand is obviously what most of us here are interested in. i think the design brief was to make a decent final cut pro computer with lots of thunderbolt ports, that you can fit in your backpack, or have 10 of them in an office taking up a pittance of space etc. i know we can piece together better performance for cheaper, and MSI just released a mimic with dual gtx 980 (obviously wouldnt out perform the firepros for the pro vid apps but interesting from a cooling perspective). but you have to remember that in 2013 having a machine with a 12 core xeon, 64gb of ecc ddr3, dual firepros, in that tiny little shiny cylinder, well although the price makes me :oops: i think most people were pretty impressed by the engineering and it's not like it was bang and olufsen prices $30,000+ for a system, you could get all that for 8k USD or ONLY 5k usd for the 6 core :lol: .