Suggested Skylake CPU for Shuttle XH110V?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

silentbobbo

Suggested Skylake CPU for Shuttle XH110V?

Post by silentbobbo » Fri May 20, 2016 12:25 am

The Shuttle XH110V is a SSF barebone that comes with a LGA 1151 motherboard. I intend to use this computer as a light workstation for hobbyist software development (it involves compiling and other cpu-heavy tasks, but not for very prolonged amount of times).

Heat is dissipated through a lateral heatpipe (shown here: http://www.shuttle.eu/fileadmin/resourc ... lack_e.pdf). The max TDP is 65W, it comes with a 90W power brick.

I was thinking about putting an i7-6700 in it, but it looks from one of the recent SRPC reviews, that the i7-6700 can go well over its stated TDP of 65W. I am afraid of the stock heatsink will not tolerate anything over the rated 65W.

Should I get an i7-6700T? The 35W TDP is intriguing, but is it really that low in practice? And are the performances similar to that of an i7-6700 to be worth the cost? Would a cheaper i5-6600 or i5-6500 offer comparable performances with a better TDP?

lodestar

Re: Suggested Skylake CPU for Shuttle XH110V?

Post by lodestar » Fri May 20, 2016 3:15 am

The i7-6700T is a 2.8Ghz part with turbo modes to 3.6Ghz for 1 core, 3.5Ghz for 2 cores and 3.4Ghz for 3 or 4 cores. The i7-6700 runs at a higher base speed, 3.4Ghz and its turbo modes are somewhat more aggressive, 4.0Ghz for 1 core, 3.9Ghz for 2 cores, 3.8Ghz for 3 cores and 3.7Ghz for 4 cores. You could down clock a 6700 to 2.8Ghz but doing this would lose the turbo modes. In practice under low system stress conditions both of these processors default to around 0.8Ghz and 0.7V, and under greater stress the CPU speed and voltage will vary depending on the load put on it. This can include turbo modes being engaged.

It might be worth adding that Thermal Design Power - TDP - does not represent maximum power consumption, to quote CPU-World "...(it) is the average maximum power a processor can dissipate while running commercially available software. TDP is primarily used as a guideline for manufacturers of thermal solutions (heatsinks/fans, etc) which tells them how much heat their solution should dissipate. TDP is not the maximum power the CPU may generate - there may be periods of time when the CPU dissipates more power than designed, in which case either the CPU temperature will rise closer to the maximum, or special CPU circuitry will activate and add idle cycles or reduce CPU frequency with the intent of reducing the amount of generated power. TDP is usually 20% - 30% lower than the CPU maximum power dissipation...".

In terms of alternatives to the 6700T, for your purposes would you loose much by deploying one of the T range i3s such as the 3.2Ghz 6100T or the 3.3Ghz 6300T.