Why no Iris Pro on the desktop?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Why no Iris Pro on the desktop?

Post by flyingsherpa » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:46 am

Why does Intel only release Iris Pro CPUs for embedded systems like NUC, Brix, iMacs etc? Seems it would be a big selling point for some segment of the market... I would love to have one. The NUC/Brix are too small and restrictive... I want to be able to add 3.5" HDD and optical for HTPC/server usage, as well as bigger heatsink/fans to make them quiet. I just don't get why they'd finally create best-in-class integrated graphics (after trailing AMD for so long on this), then not offer it to general consumers.

Yes, there are two socketed Broadwell CPUs that do this, but they are a bit pricey. And no plans for skylake ones, unfortunately. I might spring for a mini-itx with the i5-5675C...

quest_for_silence

Re: Why no Iris Pro on the desktop?

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:17 am

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10361/int ... ming-video

http://ark.intel.com/it/products/family ... amily#@All

All you need should be a consumer-level C236 mobo (there are some from ASUS, ASRock, MSI...): yes, it will be still pricey.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:28 am

Nice links, thanks! Though I think those E3 v5 parts with Iris Pro are only available as BGA, so you can't just put them in a motherboard :(

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:57 pm

flyingsherpa wrote:Nice links, thanks! Though I think those E3 v5 parts with Iris Pro are only available as BGA, so you can't just put them in a motherboard :(
You're perfectly right, I stand corrected (I didn't scanned properly the article). In case, you would need something like this:
Supermicro-X11SSV-M4-motherboard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:59 am

Wow, that looks awesome! I'll have to look into if there are any downsides using an embedded board as a general consumer (is it missing features that mainstream consumer boards have?), and see if anyone actually sells these individually for a half-decent price...