Is the Gigabyte back in the game in terms of fan control?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lb_felipe

Is the Gigabyte back in the game in terms of fan control?

Post by lb_felipe » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Luke Hill@KitGuru wrote:The Smart Fan 5 settings subsection can be accessed from the MIT page. This superb fan control system is the crown jewel for Gigabyte’s Z270 UEFI.
Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/mothe ... -review/4/

"On the topic of excellent points, Gigabyte’s effort being put into the fan control system has paid off. The Gaming 7 has superb abilities for fan control both through the UEFI and OS software. And the board ships with eight 4-pin headers that should satisfy even hardened watercooling enthusiasts"
"One of the best fan configurations on the market – 8 4-pin headers, all with precise controllability"
"KitGuru says: Excellent RGB and fan control systems aid a good feature set and wise design choices to make Gigabyte’s Aorus Z270X-Gaming 7 a smart choice"
– Page 11

I think so.

CA_Steve

Re: Is the Gigabyte back in the game in terms of fan control

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:57 pm

finally...:)

hailst0rm

Post by hailst0rm » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:34 am

I'm surprised to read this. I came here hoping for some advice on how to tame the fan controls on this board. The noise is driving me crazy.

Whenever I start a game the fans instantly spin up to a loud rpm. Fans spin up and down aggressively. It's not in any way a smooth transition.

I've set all the fans to the silent profile. Even a cheapy Biostar motherboard I had is better than this.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:53 am

hailst0rm wrote:I'm surprised to read this. I came here hoping for some advice on how to tame the fan controls on this board. The noise is driving me crazy.

Whenever I start a game the fans instantly spin up to a loud rpm. Fans spin up and down aggressively. It's not in any way a smooth transition.

I've set all the fans to the silent profile. Even a cheapy Biostar motherboard I had is better than this.
Welcome to SPCR. My suggestion would be to start a separate thread detailing your PC components (+ motherboard model, fans) and how you are controlling them.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:13 pm

hailst0rm wrote:I came here hoping for some advice on how to tame the fan controls on this board. [...] I've set all the fans to the silent profile.
I'm currently using GA-Z97M-D3H (haswell) mobo with UEFI and it's pretty good when it comes to fan control. But I can share a few tricks - if your mobo is similar.

"silent" is not the quietest mode. Even quieter is the "manual" setting + you have to choose 0.75W/'C stepping

CPU fan header has DIFFERENT fan speed profile than SYS1 and SYS2 fan

CPU FAN header starts @60% fan speed and ramps up (silent mode)
SYS1 and SYS2 FAN headers start @30% fan speed and ramps up (silent mode)

but remember that SYS fans ramps up only if MOBO temp goes up

If your CPU fan is too loud - and can be slowed down without overheating CPU- you have 2 choices:

a) just switch to a fan with SLOWER max speed - standard fan is usually rated @1500rpm max, you can switch to a fan that is rated @800rpm max. In this case your fan will be spinning @500rpm when idle and max out @800rpm. With a good cooler and 120mm fan it should be enough to cool CPU when gaming.

b) if you have @1500rpm fan and don't want to buy a new slower one - just connect it to the SYS1 or SYS2 header and see if it's enough to cool your CPU - if it's not enough you can experiment with fan "manual" mode and bump up speed progression (like 1W/'C)

========

I'm using best of both options (at least for me) - I have 1500rpm CPU fan hooked up to SYS1 header so it starts @500rpm and then - when OS boots up - I can control the fan speed via software relatively to CPU temp. Best thing is that I can override that bios settings and I can speed up SYS1 fan to it's max rated speed (if I need to).
Keep in mind that I'm on macOS system (hackintosh) and using HWmonitor software. But at least I know it CAN be controlled via software, so there is a chance that SpeedFan will be able to control it too.
Last edited by VERiON on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hailst0rm

Post by hailst0rm » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks. The CPU OPT was the one that caught me out. Checked that all system fans weren't running off the CPU temperature sensor. Seems to be behaving now.

Embarrassed to say that I just hadn't checked through all the settings. The fan controls are more advanced than I'm used to. I like that for each fan you can choose from about 6 different temperature settings on the board to control it from.