Fan replacement in network switch:

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
mark19891989

Fan replacement in network switch:

Post by mark19891989 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:11 pm

my home switch was filled up, so i decided to go abit over kill and get a 24port switch so i will never run out...

the model i have is a 3Com 3C16980 SuperStack II 3300 24 Port Switch

i know its a old model but it still kicks the arse of off my 5port hub i had before.

i got it for £10 on ebay including sipping, and the fans on them are way too noisey. so i was planning on replacing the fans in them, the item is only 1U high, so its so short for 80mm fans,

does any one know what size fans it take? and any fans i should look out for, i havnt opened it yet, as i cannot find my screw driver

it feels like the fans are over kill, its been on for a few hours, and the air is cold coming out of it, so the noisey fans dont seem neccessary?

any one performed a fan swap on a 1U switch before?

thanks for any pointers , mark

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:26 pm

If the fan exhausts look to be filling the height of one narrow side of the switch, then they're 60mm fans - probably 60*25mm ones if they're noisy (that's what was in my old HP switch).

You should be able to replace them with any 60mm fan you can find, but you'll probably have to splice the wires - all the fans in switches I've seen have had 2 wires, while most 60mm fans are 3-pin.

Best to open it up and make sure first, though. The fans are generally for the power supply in the switch rather than for the switching hardware itself.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:41 pm

1U is 1.75 inches which is about 44mm. So you'll be looking for 40mm fans. There aren't too many quiet 40mm fans out there, but you might try the Scythe Mini Kaze or this Antec 40mm.

But I think super stack 3300 is bigger than 1U. The tech specs here say it's 3 inches high. That's an odd height, not an even multiple of 1.75 inches. 3" = 76mm. If you really have this height, consider youself blessed. You'll have more quiet fan options in 60mm than 40mm.
mentawl wrote:Best to open it up and make sure first, though.
Absolutely.

Here's some guy's tale of trying to quiet a 3-fan Linksys switch.

mark19891989

Post by mark19891989 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:44 am

Jay_S wrote:1U is 1.75 inches which is about 44mm. So you'll be looking for 40mm fans. There aren't too many quiet 40mm fans out there, but you might try the Scythe Mini Kaze or this Antec 40mm.

But I think super stack 3300 is bigger than 1U. The tech specs here say it's 3 inches high. That's an odd height, not an even multiple of 1.75 inches. 3" = 76mm. If you really have this height, consider youself blessed. You'll have more quiet fan options in 60mm than 40mm.
mentawl wrote:Best to open it up and make sure first, though.
Absolutely.

Here's some guy's tale of trying to quiet a 3-fan Linksys switch.
ok, ty for replying, i will open it up latter and see if i can fit a 60mm fan init , i need to find me screwdriver set first.

sorry for bad typos, im using a friends laptop and its missing some keys

if a 60mm fan can fit, are there and specific models that you lot would recommend?

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:38 am

mark19891989 wrote:if a 60mm fan can fit, are there and specific models that you lot would recommend?
I don't have any brand allegiance. I usually just look at the amp rating on the fan hubs. Usually, lower A = slower RPM within a size range. But this sort of examination is really only possible if you're shopping physically. If you're shopping online, you'll have to do some research.

The first thing I would do after opening it is see what the existing fans are rated at.

BTW, I saw an alarming spec in the datasheet I linked above:
Heat Dissipation: 171 watts maximum (583 BTU/hour maximum)
Holy smokes! You might need high CFM/RPM/noise fans after all!

mark19891989

Post by mark19891989 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:26 am

Jay_S wrote:
mark19891989 wrote:if a 60mm fan can fit, are there and specific models that you lot would recommend?
I don't have any brand allegiance. I usually just look at the amp rating on the fan hubs. Usually, lower A = slower RPM within a size range. But this sort of examination is really only possible if you're shopping physically. If you're shopping online, you'll have to do some research.

The first thing I would do after opening it is see what the existing fans are rated at.

BTW, I saw an alarming spec in the datasheet I linked above:
Heat Dissipation: 171 watts maximum (583 BTU/hour maximum)
Holy smokes! You might need high CFM/RPM/noise fans after all!
i just opened it up, the fans are 2 pin 12v 60mmx25

171w! my server only uses 35 lol

the psu board says its rated for 130w max (writen inside)

im gona stick this thing on my killawatt, i cant see a hub using that much power

edit: the switch is on my killawatt (well the english equivelent) its using 38w right now, i only have 5 things pluged in to it, i tried copying a few gb from my server and the usage stayed pretty static.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:20 am

mark19891989 wrote:i just opened it up, the fans are 2 pin 12v 60mmx25
No current rating on the label? "12VDC 0.## A"?

60x25 is pretty common. Akasa has one: 12V, 0.06A, 2300 RPM ... not sure how "ultra quiet" it will be. Scan lists it.

How do they connect? Are they hard-wired? If you have to do some cutting to replace them, you might as well try some series resistors first. Similar to what Zalman used to supply with CPU and GPU coolers: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article85-page1.html

mark19891989

Post by mark19891989 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:38 am

Jay_S wrote:
mark19891989 wrote:i just opened it up, the fans are 2 pin 12v 60mmx25
No current rating on the label? "12VDC 0.## A"?

60x25 is pretty common. Akasa has one: 12V, 0.06A, 2300 RPM ... not sure how "ultra quiet" it will be. Scan lists it.

How do they connect? Are they hard-wired? If you have to do some cutting to replace them, you might as well try some series resistors first. Similar to what Zalman used to supply with CPU and GPU coolers: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article85-page1.html
there was a current rating but i cant remember it and its been put back together now

they both connect to individual 2pin connectors similar style to 3pin fans on desktop pcs

edit: been looking at these fans http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/Nois ... 26681.html but they only move 24 m³/h which doesnt seem like alot, even if there are 2 of them

the inside of it is pretty clear, so turbulance isnt an issue atal, just these fans wine, think the bearing on them are shot.

simonthegreat

any progress?

Post by simonthegreat » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 pm

i got given the same 3com switch, and its way too noisy for me to use, was wondering if you managed to quieten yours down. which fans did you get, and did they make a noticeable difference.

mark19891989

Re: any progress?

Post by mark19891989 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:44 pm

simonthegreat wrote:i got given the same 3com switch, and its way too noisy for me to use, was wondering if you managed to quieten yours down. which fans did you get, and did they make a noticeable difference.
i havnt got around to it yet, i plan too soon, only problem im having is that any quiet 60mm fans i have found online are priced at £6 each, and as i need 2 of them its pricy considering i only paid £10 for the switch in the first place

i will most likely do it in the next month depending on funds, i will most likely get some Silent Mini Kaze 60mm fans,

mark19891989

Post by mark19891989 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:31 am

thought i would update you lot, i FINALY got around to ordering the fans for the switch i ordered 2 Scythe Mini Kaze 60mm, I will post back results when im done

mark19891989

Post by mark19891989 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:11 am

fans showed up and were installed today, was easy as hell to install.

i had to break the "key" off of the fan header to fit the new fan connector (Was 2 pin, like a gpu fan) to fit, apart from that i didnt have to do any thing unususal.

now i cannot hear it, im gona keep an eye on it to see if it gets hot or anything, but im happy with the result.

rating from old fan: Panaflo FBA06A12H

Voltage: 12v
Current: 0.22A
moves: 19.1CFM

ratings from new fan: scythe mini kaze

Voltage: 12v
Current: 0.07A
moves: 12.3CFM

on the old fans, the motor bit in the middle is big, and there are hardly any blades, they didnt move alot of air. (Acording to a spec sheet i found online they only moved 19.1CFM )

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:49 am

That old Panaflo fan is really good. Fluid bearings, Panaflo makes the best 80mm fans I have ever used. Haven't had any experience with their 60mm fans but I assume they are good as well.
So unless it's worn out, don't throw it away. :)

Small blade area = high pressure which can be useful in a small tight space with a lot of resistance.

I don't think 3Com put it there by accident. That's an enterprise switch so reliability and adequate cooling is a priority, low noise is not. :)

mark19891989

Post by mark19891989 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:36 am

Vicotnik wrote:That old Panaflo fan is really good. Fluid bearings, Panaflo makes the best 80mm fans I have ever used. Haven't had any experience with their 60mm fans but I assume they are good as well.
So unless it's worn out, don't throw it away. :)

Small blade area = high pressure which can be useful in a small tight space with a lot of resistance.

I don't think 3Com put it there by accident. That's an enterprise switch so reliability and adequate cooling is a priority, low noise is not. :)
thanks for the reply :)

the case is pretty hollow , there doent need to be alot of presure. the fans are used as an exaust, and if i put my hand near the intake vent on the other side i can feel the air, and the air coming out is very close to room temp, so i think there is enough air being moved, im gona keep an eye the switch to check everything is ok :)

i dont know about the condition of them, just they were very noisy for the amount of air they moved.

I have kept them im gona run them out of the case, just to check there in good enough condition to sell or use again.

edit: just ran them out of the case, they seem in good nick, they just sound like a fast fan, but it kept me awake

WolfBaginski

Re: Fan replacement in network switch:

Post by WolfBaginski » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:52 am

I have acquired one of these. They're old, and the fans are noisy. The network speed they support is on the low side. They're cheap because maintenance costs money, even something simple like replacing the fans.

1: The case is held together with Torx-head machine screws, size T10. Take them out and then ease the plastic clips to separate the cover from the chassis. If you have rack-mount ears fitted, they have to come off too.

2: There can be a lot of dust. Clean that out. It doesn't help cooling or noise.

3: The fans are 60mm. The pair on mine were Papst brand. Cleaning the dust off makes the noise bearable, but I am replacing them with a pair of Nanoxia fans

4: The connectors are a standard 2-pin connector. The Nanoxia fans come with a voltage dropper resistor, a 3-pin to 3-pin insert lead, so I am going to make up a couple of 2-pin to 3-pin converter leads.

5: The fans are only held at the bottom, a couple of plastic rivet-things. With a little care they can be re-used, carefully push out the centre-pin that opens the rivet-prongs. The usual rubber "silent" mounts should work to hold the fan but I doubt it will do anything much for noise, because the fan rests on the chassis. I don't think there is room for a useful thickness of rubber or felt.

6: It's easier to get at the rivets after you remove the power supply, held by a combination of screws and hooks formed from the chassis. The connector to the main board is of the same general sort as the power connector on a PC motherboard.

These units were designed to be usable as a free-standing stack, with adhesive pads. It would help to use stick-on rubber feet rather than resting directly on a shelf. Since there are no air vents, top or bottom, a piece of matting should work too.

WolfBaginski

Re: Fan replacement in network switch:

Post by WolfBaginski » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:59 am

I have now fitted the new fans. It was less of a fiddle than I expected and the result is total silence. I can feel the air movement. and I shall keep an eye on the temperature. I may not have needed to fit the voltage dropper resistors to slow the fans.

Three pin fan connectors will fit to two pin power sockets. The red lead (+12v) is the center pin and if you pay attention to the polarising key pin 3, signalling the speed, is unconnected. The voltage-dropper lead supplied with the fan lets you see the lead colours. Red and black are power, yellow the speed signal, but you probably know that anyway.

Nominal fan size was the same, but I needed to add a little packing to hold them firm.

I had to disconnect the PSU board from the main board and take it out to get clearance to work on the fan mounts.

I am a little anxious about the low-speed running I have set. It can be easily sorted. I fitted some stick-on felt pads, made to stop furniture scratching floors, to give a bit of noise isolation from the shelf it was sitting on.

Total cost was comparable with some currently-made stand-alone switches, which allow higher port speeds. I am wondering a little about why I bothered, but there is a strong family tradition of fixing stuff yourself, because the people you could pay to do a job will charge a lot for the time they spend travelling.

I thought I had cleaned all the dust out when I first checked. I hadn't. And who was it who told me that making up your own patch leads was easy?

Current set-up has an ADSL modem/router as the internet connection. This has wifi and four ethernet ports. One ethernet to my NAS drive, one to the switch's first 100BASE-T port. My main computer is on the second 100BASE-T. Everything else will use the 10BASE-T ports.

Overall conclusion: Old fans can be expected to be noisy. This particular model is old enough to be well past the rated lifetime of the fans. It's also, by current standards, rather slow. The fans, at least, can be fixed.