TRENDnet TEG-S24Dg 24-port Gigabit Switch = good

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

TRENDnet TEG-S24Dg 24-port Gigabit Switch = good

Post by Jay_S » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:36 am

TRENDnet TEG-S24Dg 24-port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch

This is just a thumbs up for this switch. I've had it for about 9 months, and it's been absolutely solid. Nothing fancy, just a lot of ports for (occasionally) not a lot of money.

Last year, Newegg's product page had photos of the old version. The old revisions of this switch had annoying cooling fans. The current "GREENnet" version - which I have - is fanless. It is silent, as far as I can tell. Newegg's site now shows the correct product photos.

It's energy efficient: rated power consumption is 13 Watts max. Like many other "green" switches, this one will disable or throttle down unused ports as needed to save power. I've never felt it hotter than ambient, but I only have about half of the ports populated, and they're never all pegged.

It's usually in the $130-150 range @ Newegg. But it goes on sale every now and then. I got it for $90 last year. I've seen that price in Newegg's marketing emails a few times since. I don't think it's worth $150, but $90 is a good deal. I used Newegg's "price alert" function to email me when it (and several other competing models) went below $100.

This switch is rack-mountable, but it does NOT include rack ears. This is annoying, but not the end of the world. This switch is the same size as a D-Link I have at work, and the D-Link's rack ears bolt right on the Trend switch. I'd guess that most 11" wide 1U switch rack ears should work. Otherwise, Amazon sells the matching Trend rack ears for $8 (part number ETH-11MK).