Cannot Use Cisco WAP4410N in Wireless Client/Repeater Mode?

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
cyberspyder

Cannot Use Cisco WAP4410N in Wireless Client/Repeater Mode?

Post by cyberspyder » Mon May 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi,

I just purchase a Cisco WAP4410N so hopefully I am in the right place. I don't know much about networking (other than basic stuff) and I've spent hours trying to get the access point setup to no avail.

1) Apparently, my Cisco modem likes to assign new IP addresses to things, so I didn't figure out the web access page until an hour in (was NOT 192.168.1.245)

2) Do I input the same IP address, subnet, DNS and default gateway as my Cisco modem? It has a wireless router and switch bundled in, should I use the wireless network's MAC address or the wired?

Currently, it's set to 'automatically configure':

IPv4
Local IP Address: 192.xxx.x.xx
Subnet Mask: 255.xxx.xxx.x
Default Gateway: 192.xxx.x.x
Primary DNS: 64.xx.xxx.xxx
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

I can access the pages fine, but I cannot get the wireless client working...

3) I did a site survey and found my existing network and inputted its SSID and MAC address, but nothing happens. I still get one bar on my wireless devices indicating the AP isn't working.

4) I am not quite sure how to set the time, selected the proper time zone, as well as the automatic updates option in addition to manually inputting a MTP server IP (wwv.nist.gov, 24.56.178.140) but somehow my time keep on defaulting back to 2011 (ie, the wrong time)

Help?

Thanks, Brendan

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Cannot Use Cisco WAP4410N in Wireless Client/Repeater Mo

Post by Jay_S » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Check that you're on latest firmware (v2.0.5.3, May 2012). The first Newegg review reports the following:
Cons: Supplied firmware has issues, lockups, and dropouts. Does not work well in bridge mode with current firmware.

Other Thoughts: Cisco confirmed issue. Solution was to install version 2.0.2.3 of firmware and unit works robustly.
I think this applies to you - you're trying to extend an existing wireless network?

Goodness, reviews are not very positive for this unit! If this is for personal/home use, can you still return/exchange it!

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:31 pm

cyberspyder wrote:It has a wireless router and switch bundled in, should I use the wireless network's MAC address or the wired?
I think you need to use the MAC address of the WAP4410N, I assume this is actually on the device itself somewhere.

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Oops, forgot I started a topic here, got my AP working for a while now, so far so good, no shutdowns or anything, been on for "System Up Time: 18 Day, 18 hour:07 min:01 sec", so I think I'm good, haven't updated firmware yet, no need right now. Love the new range it provides though, personally, seems like a pretty good unit, the setup issues were my own fault, I don't know diddly squat about networking hah.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:16 pm

cyberspyder wrote:Oops, forgot I started a topic here, got my AP working for a while now...
Good to hear.

Smallnetbuilder.com has a great primer on bridging / repeating: Everything You Need To Know About Wireless Bridging and Repeating

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Yeah, dumb error on my part. I had it on Wireless Client/Repeater mode instead of WDS...dur.