Windows Homegroup problem

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
Stephen

Windows Homegroup problem

Post by Stephen » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:57 pm

Here's the situation. I have two laptops and one desktop that were all successfully working in a Windows 7 Homegroup as of about two weeks ago (hadn't checked since then). Last night I installed Windows 8 on my desktop (with Start8, at least for now - and a custom install without saving any settings or files). I then uninstalled the WIndows 7 Homegroup from the two laptops. Then I installed a Homegroup in the WIndows 8 desktop, followed by joining that Homegroup from the two laptops. Both laptops are Dells, same wireless cards and network and sharing settings the same. I can access both laptop shared files from the desktop with no problem. From one laptop I can access the files in the other laptop and in the desktop with no problem. From the second laptop I cannot access any files from either the other laptop nor the desktop.

I uninstalled the Homegroup, and set up a new one using the laptop with the issues. Same result. I uninstalled the laptop wireless driver and re-installed it. Same result.

The two laptops are wireless, while the desktop is wired.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Stephen

Re: Windows Homegroup problem

Post by Stephen » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:57 pm

Update - I've tried installing different wireless drivers in the affected laptop, to no avail. I tried connecting it via Ethernet, that also didn't work. There appears to be some network and/or file sharing setting that is messed up.

I get the same result when I try to access shared files via the network rather than the Homegroup - except in that case I get a message indicating I don't have permission to read the files and directing me to the network administrator (which is me). This is also a new problem that wasn't there a few weeks ago.

corrion

Post by corrion » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:07 pm

Check to make sure that you are using Homegroup to manage permissions. Go to Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings > Home or Work > Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections.

If that fails, try the Homegroup troubleshooter.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:59 pm

corrion wrote:Check to make sure that you are using Homegroup to manage permissions. Go to Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings > Home or Work > Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections.

If that fails, try the Homegroup troubleshooter.
Tried both of those already. Didn't work.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:27 pm

If any has any other suggestions, please post them!