QNAP HS-210 passive NAS

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
CA_Steve

QNAP HS-210 passive NAS

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:21 am

This looks interesting. Haven't seen pricing, yet.
Fanless, revolutionary thermal design and power efficient

Instead of a fan, the HS-210 features a remarkable thermal design that intelligently dissipates heat, allowing us to create a sleek, modern design without the bulk of conventional NAS systems. This innovative thermal design helps keep the HS-210 running smoothly even under the heaviest loads. The HS-210 is also eco-friendly, with power saving features including hard disk standby when not in use, and power management scheduling options.
Power Consumption (W) Sleep mode: 7.39W
In Operation: 13.71W
(with 2 x WD RED HDD installed)
Scheduled on/off or restart

Set up automatic system power on, off, or restart

Convenient power management

There might be occasions when the Turbo NAS is left free from usage. The Turbo NAS offers scheduled power on/off feature that allows you to manage the system up time according to your daily schedules. You can set up the time to automatically power on, power off, or restart the Turbo NAS on any day of the week, bringing in more convenience and effectively saving the energy.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: QNAP HS-210 passive NAS

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:27 pm

Considered this unit for a home NAS, the price hovers around the 300 EUR mark here. Ended up with a Synology DS214se instead, as it was half the price, and the fan just made sense - "better safe than sorry". Half price was enough to cover one 3 TB drive on its own, so it was really no contest.

A 100% price premium is really hard to justify. The location would have to be extremely sensitive for a passive design to be a deciding factor for me, especially since the drives would be mechanical anyway.

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:03 am

I also have doubts about the thermal design. They can call it high technology but it is just a flat surface without any folds or patterns and we all know that heat dissipates much faster when the surface area is bigger. So in terms of "advanced design" that is just nonsense.

Advanced design to me would be revolutionary convection airflow design. That would need to involve a concept of organizing multiple components in a vertical structure such that the entire structure can be turned into an efficient heat pathway.

Now THAT would be interesting but obviously that is beyond the capacity for such a simple company to develop or put into the world - they just have to go by what seems to sell.

But if I were to develop this thing then, I would still try to say: "This is meant to be connected into, inserted into, a metal structure that is able to transfer the heat away. This unit is just a building block. We love building blocks. We love components."

And you might not sell any devices that way but you do introduce a new way of thinking that could lead to more inspiration and possible interest from other companies in a such a concept and so on and so on.

This SilentNAS looks to me like a router or a media streamer or some set-top box. It is not something I would put in my closet for my serving needs....

Maybe it is just meant to obfuscate what really goes on in your home. You put the NAS below your TV and the media streamer in the closet. Then when the Feds break in to steal your data, you act really taken aback when they remove your Xbox.

And your router is really a DECT base-station and when people try to use your tablet it video-records their facial expressions and analyses them to know when to offer tea.

Pétur

Post by Pétur » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:49 am

The HS-210 is a weird product, it looks and was designed to be put in the living room, but it lacks HDMI. QNAP seriously blew that one. Don't buy it.

Their second try is already much better, the HS-251 just announced does have HDMI, and has much better processing power, even does HW-assisted transcoding IIRC.

As for the heat, well I bet it will be OK with SSD inside (silent too) ;)

fjf

Post by fjf » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:42 am

All we need now are affordable 4TB SSDs :lol:

Pétur

Post by Pétur » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:22 pm

A user on my forum got one of these HS-251 and they indeed get pretty warm so SSD is probably also good to reduce heat a bit...

BTW, running with a crucial 1TB SSD in my main NAS, it was expensive but manageable, I bet they will continue to come down in price.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:42 pm

Did they get any SMART readings (doubt it since it's a NAS, but worth finding out)? Knowing if the drive goes above 50 Celsius or stays in the 40 range would be useful. Both would probably feel 'hot' to a human hand.

Regarding SSDs, 1 TB SSDs still cost as much as a whole NAS rig. If you can afford the 400 to 500 EUR then that's fine (spoiler: many can't), but it's hardly a justifiable cost in the grand scheme of things. :lol: Naturally the prices will keep coming down, but we won't be in affordable or even reasonable territory for a long time - as far as private data storage is concerned.