router connected. no internet connection

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
xev

router connected. no internet connection

Post by xev » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:41 pm

I'm having trouble putting a wireless router at my dads office. I'm putting the Ethernet cable from the wall into the Internet port on the router and another cable from the out to the PC. There's no internet connection.
The router does emit a signal and I can connect to it from another laptop, but no internet connection. I can connect to the router from the IP and reset it.

Its a Linksys wrt54g v8.

quest_for_silence

Re: router connected. no internet connection

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:23 am

xev wrote:I'm having trouble putting a wireless router at my dads office. I'm putting the Ethernet cable from the wall into the Internet port on the router and another cable from the out to the PC. There's no internet connection.
The router does emit a signal and I can connect to it from another laptop, but no internet connection. I can connect to the router from the IP and reset it.

Its a Linksys wrt54g v8.

What about connecting the ethernet cable coming from the wall directly to a PC? Do you have so a working internet connection?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:44 am

The wall outlet is probably already supplying a internet connection. If so, you need to set up the Linksys wrt54g v8 as an Access Point, not a Router. I don't know about the Linksys but normally setting up a router as an access point involves turning off DHCP and changing the IP address of the router to one within the range of the wired network.

However normally networks are configured to be secure and one way of doing this is to limit devices connected to the network to a pre-set list of MAC addresses. The MAC address is unique to each item of hardware, it's a string of characters separated by colons. If you are not seeing an internet connection it may well because of the security filtering, the MAC address of your Linksys is not on the list.

xev

Post by xev » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:38 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
What about connecting the ethernet cable coming from the wall directly to a PC? Do you have so a working internet connection?
Yes the connection is fine directly from the wall.

xev

Post by xev » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:45 am

lodestar wrote:The wall outlet is probably already supplying a internet connection. If so, you need to set up the Linksys wrt54g v8 as an Access Point, not a Router. I don't know about the Linksys but normally setting up a router as an access point involves turning off DHCP and changing the IP address of the router to one within the range of the wired network.

However normally networks are configured to be secure and one way of doing this is to limit devices connected to the network to a pre-set list of MAC addresses. The MAC address is unique to each item of hardware, it's a string of characters separated by colons. If you are not seeing an internet connection it may well because of the security filtering, the MAC address of your Linksys is not on the list.
Thanks I'll try changing the dhcp.I don't think its a whitelist issue as I have reset the lynksis so its not blocking anything.
The network here is dsl, so The telephone wire goes through an adapter and to the Ethernet cable. There's no other device involved.

washu

Post by washu » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:05 pm

xev wrote: Thanks I'll try changing the dhcp.I don't think its a whitelist issue as I have reset the lynksis so its not blocking anything.
The network here is dsl, so The telephone wire goes through an adapter and to the Ethernet cable. There's no other device involved.
Is the "adapter" just a basic DSL modem, or a router itself? If it is just a modem then there is a 99% chance you need PPPoE configured to be able to connect. Do you have a PPPoE connection on the PC you tested with, possibly one that is set to connect automatically in the background?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:36 pm

xev wrote:Yes the connection is fine directly from the wall.

Which is the current wrt54g setup, with reference to WAN?
And, as some one else already asked, which is the actual configuration of it (gateway, router, AP, et caetera)?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:46 pm

I'm putting the Ethernet cable from the wall into the Internet port on the router and another cable from the out to the PC.
whats going on up stream from the wall port? where does the DSL modem live? what is this "adapter" the telephone wire goes through?

xev

Post by xev » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:06 pm

The adapter is the modem provided my verizon.
I called them and they tried changing it from PPPoE to Bridge, but then it wasnt working at all.

They should send me a free modem and ill try again then.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:04 pm

xev wrote:They should send me a free modem and ill try again then.
Free? If they are like Comcast or any of the cable companies, look for the monthly rental fee ;)

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:01 pm

xev wrote:
They should send me a free modem and ill try again then.
if a laptop/PC gets internet when hooked directly to DSL modem with Ethernet cable, then the modem is fine, and the issue is with the router and/or its setup configuration.

xev

Post by xev » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:50 am

Just to post an update. I got their router that they sent me which turned out to be a modem/router combo unit. It worked after a quick settings config. I asked about a monthly charge and they said there will be none, but ill be on the lookout since i know that reps/techs aren't always truthful (or just don't know otherwise) when it comes to these things.
I appreciate the help on this.