How to install Ubuntu virtually in windows platform

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
mehimu

How to install Ubuntu virtually in windows platform

Post by mehimu » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:50 pm

In this post we'll see how to install Ubuntu virtually in windows platform. As windows platform we've used windows 8. For visualization we use a software named VMware player. And used Ubuntu iso file version 14.04. First you need to download VMware player, it is a freeware and may download by searching from any site.
After that download the iso file of Ubuntu, here i have used 14.04 version of Ubuntu and it is 970mb.

First install the VMware player as normal software installation process. After that lets see how we have done this dork step by step:

After opening VMware we’ll see the interface like that.

After that we have to create a virtual blank hard disk.

In this step we have to select the operating system and its version

In this step we have to insert the virtual machine name and location for saving OS file

Now we need to select the amount of space for the virtual disk and split virtual disk system

It is the final step of virtual disk creation. By clicking finish we can able to finish creating virtual disk file

Now after opening VMware we’ll see an option after the Home button. We’ll the select the Ubuntu, and then click the Edit virtual machine setting

In this step in the hardware tab we select the CD/DVD(SATA) option, and then click the use ISO image file and then browse the iso set up file of Ubuntu

After that returning the main interface, we select the Ubuntu under Home menu and then click the Play virtual machine

Then the installation starts as like normal windows installation….

Finally Ubuntu is installed.

This post was first published here: install Ubuntu virtually in windows platform

NeilBlanchard

Re: How to install Ubuntu virtually in windows platform

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:42 am

What advantages would this have over doing a dual boot?

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:45 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:What advantages would this have over doing a dual boot?
It's nice to setup a quick dev environment. No reboot required to switch between the OSes. However, I'm having that nagging feeling that mehimu is just trying to do SEO.

geneliasmith

Post by geneliasmith » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:29 pm

I have followed all the steps without making any mistakes. This is really very useful for me. I have recently observed my laptop Keyboard is creating some issues after installing this. Is there any connection with it?

leon450

Post by leon450 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:22 am

Virtual box is constantly crashing on windows 10, is there any replacement and my PC specs are 4 GB DDR3 ram with AMD A8 7600 processor.