Cheapest NAS with Plex media server (DLNA)?

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
MasterBash

Cheapest NAS with Plex media server (DLNA)?

Post by MasterBash » Sun May 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Unfortunately, my Hard Drive makes too much noise to be in my computer, even while suspending it.

I am thinking about buying a NAS which allows me run a DLNA server, but can also map the drive for PCs to use (as in, I get to put my downloads on the NAS instead of my PC). USB3.0 ports could be a good thing to add my external hard drive too. Like 4 bays would be enough, I would say.

I am not looking for something expensive at all, it will be used mostly for downloads/some backup stuff while I format a computer or something/streaming movies. Obviously, I want it good enough for the future like 4k movies, but thats it. I dont need more than that.

However, I do have a spare Maximus VI Formula motherboard with NH-D14 that I am looking to sell. No idea if it would be better than a NAS... I am not looking to do anything else other than sharing network drives. Seems like it would take a lot more power. If I go this way, is there an inexpensive case made for NAS out there? The ones I am looking at are pre-built.. =(

Thanks!

MasterBash

Re: Cheapest NAS with Plex media server (DLNA)?

Post by MasterBash » Mon May 18, 2015 9:00 am

Wow. 4k for a simple i3. You probably have more setting on a NAS when it comes to networking stuff or failproof a bit, but I dont think its worth that much at all.

I can build MUCH stronger for much cheaper. However I dont have a proper "NAS" case. Is there an ATX NAS case out there that can support normal sized PSU out there? SOmething that isnt ridiculously expensive, the only purpose is to add Hard Drives. Maybe I will have one Blu-ray drive but I have no idea if I will even put it externally or internally.

Thanks!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon May 18, 2015 10:09 am

MasterBash wrote:Is there an ATX NAS case out there that can support normal sized PSU out there?

I'm not aware of.

Some resources:

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon May 18, 2015 10:40 am

BTW, it isn't much less expensive and much more straightforward replacing your Barracuda with a 4TB WD Green?

MasterBash

Post by MasterBash » Mon May 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Technically yes, but I still need more space, my 4tb drive is almost full, so no matter what I would have to add more hard drives. Instead of having 2 hard drive worth 10TB, dont you think it would be better to have a standalone NAS, where other devices can stream movies and stuff? They are currently streaming stuff of this computer... Which is my gaming computer...

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon May 18, 2015 2:53 pm

MasterBash wrote:I can build MUCH stronger for much cheaper. However I dont have a proper "NAS" case. Is there an ATX NAS case out there that can support normal sized PSU out there? SOmething that isnt ridiculously expensive, the only purpose is to add Hard Drives. Maybe I will have one Blu-ray drive but I have no idea if I will even put it externally or internally.

1) Whats your budget for the case?
2) How many 3.5 hdds do you want the case to hold?
3) Do you have a restriction on the dimensions of the case?

MasterBash

Post by MasterBash » Mon May 18, 2015 6:20 pm

1) I would like to spend no more than 200$ for it, I can mod it if necessary, such as cutting out the front if needed so I can fit some bays like a NAS or something like that, but I dont know where to find such thing.
2) 4 is what I need to start with, I would definitely like something expandable just in case.
3) No, as long as my ATX motherboard and normal computer sized power supply can fit in.

The cheaper, better. If I can spend 60$ on a case, then why not. I know it would be a normal computer case at that price, but if its moddable (where would I find the proper drive bays?) then why not.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon May 18, 2015 9:23 pm

Cases to look for,

On the Expensive side, sort of speak, as its much cheaper than the alternatives are the Norco cases, the 4224 and 4220 are legendary rack cases in the server communities, the price is warranted by having a real server case with hotwswaping bays, not the best in terms of ventilation and noise, but none the less, products to consider for its factor and offering.

Below $200, i would consider a standard case, like Fractal Design Define R5, that should allow you very easy cable management, semi quiet hdd operation with its grommet hdd trays (ideal would be to suspend them), still a very nice case with decent ventilation, you can add fans so your hdds have direct cooling.

Other server cases to consider,
ARK 4U-500-CA
Rosewill RSV-L4000
CHENBRO SR10769-CO
CHENBRO SR20969-CO

Another thing to consider is if you like the smaller factor cases, you can check SPCR SilverStone DS380 8-Bay Server/NAS Chassis, there are some nice mini itx server grade motherboards with the new atoms that might be good for transcoding (crosscheck if it has enough power to sustain the streams you want), here some motherboards
SUPERMICRO MBD-A1SRi-2758F-O Mini ITX Server Motherboard DDR3 1600/1333 (8 core)
ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard FCBGA1283 DDR3 1600/1333 (8 core + 10 sata ports)

Now if you are into modding, take a look into a SPCR member build, Time for a new Elysium Beast: V4.0

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Tue May 19, 2015 12:00 am

MasterBash wrote:I am not looking for something expensive at all, it will be used mostly for downloads/some backup stuff while I format a computer or something/streaming movies. Obviously, I want it good enough for the future like 4k movies, but thats it. I dont need more than that.

However, I do have a spare Maximus VI Formula motherboard with NH-D14 that I am looking to sell. No idea if it would be better than a NAS... I am not looking to do anything else other than sharing network drives. Seems like it would take a lot more power.
If you only need a basic NAS and not a general server at all, I would forget about the Maximus VI Formula and get a small consumer grade NAS, like a Synology DiskStation or something.

MasterBash

Post by MasterBash » Tue May 19, 2015 12:12 pm

Vicotnik wrote:
MasterBash wrote:I am not looking for something expensive at all, it will be used mostly for downloads/some backup stuff while I format a computer or something/streaming movies. Obviously, I want it good enough for the future like 4k movies, but thats it. I dont need more than that.

However, I do have a spare Maximus VI Formula motherboard with NH-D14 that I am looking to sell. No idea if it would be better than a NAS... I am not looking to do anything else other than sharing network drives. Seems like it would take a lot more power.
If you only need a basic NAS and not a general server at all, I would forget about the Maximus VI Formula and get a small consumer grade NAS, like a Synology DiskStation or something.
Here is the problem with that... I am giving you canada prices from NCIX.

1 bay - 131$
2 bay - 270$
4 bay - 700$
5 bay - 662$

... then prices go up from there. Its not really affordable. Weaker processor, some of them have no usb3 ports, etc. Its very expensive for not much I would say. I am sure you get extra features just for NAS, but I dont think its worth it.

@Abula thanks for the list! The first case is what I am looking for, but much more than I am willing to pay. I think I would be better off to buy something cheap. The only thing I wanted was Hot swappable drives. Thats it. I dont think I was really interested in any other features. I will see what I can do.

What about this ? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... -_-Product

I could add some hot swappable bays in the 5.25" by removing the front panel (maybe cutting it if there is something in front of the drive bays... Does it look like it could do a good job?

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue May 19, 2015 2:25 pm

One of the cases that in the past people used a lot, and still some do, are the ones that have multiple 5.25 bays on the front, to be swapped with 5in3 or 4in3 hotswapable enclosures, but its not cheap, some of this cages go toward $100 each, personally i prefer to invest on a cases already built for hotwswapable bays.

Now with the case you posted, seems like its fully 5.25 bays on the front, if you were to accept the no hot swapping, you could use Cooler Master 4-in-3 Device Module Cage, now with 3 cages you alreaedy going over half of the norco case, so really think about it long term.

MasterBash

Post by MasterBash » Tue May 19, 2015 3:33 pm

You are right. It would be much cheaper with a narco. Unfortunately, it has SAS connectors and my motherboard has SATA only. You can plug SATA into a SAS backplane, but not the other way around.

Technically I could remove the backplane and connect my SATA HD directly to the motherboard, but it wouldnt be hot swappable, which is something I need.

washu

Post by washu » Tue May 19, 2015 7:17 pm

MasterBash wrote:. Unfortunately, it has SAS connectors and my motherboard has SATA only. You can plug SATA into a SAS backplane, but not the other way around.
Sure you can. It's called a SFF-8087 reverse breakout cable. Norco even makes one: http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail.php ... sff8087-4s

MasterBash

Post by MasterBash » Tue May 19, 2015 8:32 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_attached_SCSI I looked around the net and it seems a few people claim its not possible.

This allows for SATA drives to be connected to SAS backplanes. The reverse, connecting SAS drives to SATA backplanes, is not possible.

Maybe they are talking about native SAS drives only and not SATA -> SAS -> SATA.

washu

Post by washu » Wed May 20, 2015 5:28 am

MasterBash wrote:Maybe they are talking about native SAS drives only and not SATA -> SAS -> SATA.
Yes, that is what I thought you were referring to as well. SATA drives work fine in a SAS backplane. SAS drives are expensive and pointless in a home NAS.

SATA (drive) -> SAS (backplane) -> SATA (controller) works fine with the reverse breakout cable.

If you are really worried then just get a case with a SATA backplane instead of SAS. Norco makes the rpc-4116 which has 16 hot-swap SATA bays with direct SATA ports.

If you get any of the norco 4u cases get the replacement fan wall and 3 decent 120mm fans. That will greatly reduce the noise but keep the airflow.

Lucky Luciano

Post by Lucky Luciano » Wed May 20, 2015 8:37 am

ASRock has a promising new Braswell mobo coming out - N3150DC-ITX. On-board Pentium CPU, 4 Sata ports and integrated DC psu to use with 19V power bricks. http://www.anandtech.com/show/9271/asro ... n-variants

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed May 20, 2015 11:58 am

Lucky Luciano wrote:On-board Pentium CPU

Celeron CPU (though it likely doesn't matter that much, 320MHz less on Turbo and some GPU limitations).