politics

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

lm
Friend of SPCR

politics

Post by lm » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:53 pm

It saddens me to see how supporters of the 2 opposite US parties fight each other endlessly on this forum, even in their post signatures.

Can't we all just get a long and silence our computers, conservatives and liberals alike.

Imho you should consider if this really is the place for politics discussions. I mean, this is THE site for silent computers and heated politics debates, sometimes I don't even want to view the site because of that, but keep coming back for the computers part.

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:16 pm

As long as it stays in Off topic, what's the problem? From what i noticed from my brief stay here so far is that while people may be bickering in debates sometime, they do not show any of that inside the normal help and discussion of silent computing related topics.

walle

Post by walle » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:34 pm

lm wrote:Imho you should consider if this really is the place for politics discussions.
Not to be impolite Im, but you should understand what off topic and free speech means. If you don’t like it the solution is simple; you don't participate in any of those discussions, that's it.

LAThierry

Post by LAThierry » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:24 pm

I don't have a problem with the topic or discussion of politics as long as they're posted in the appropriate forum.
Walle wrote:you should understand what off topic ... means
Right but do you? Do you realize that a political signature will inject its owner's political view in ANY forum they post in? How's that for being off topic?

While I'm at it, I also would like to complain about intrusive, large and colorful signatures. Sometimes it's pretty ridiculous that a one line reply is followed by a 4 or 5-line colored signature.

Either way, I think it's really tacky. I like browsing the forums, but skipping the off-topic or intrusive signatures is becoming a chore.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:01 pm

walle wrote:Not to be impolite Im, but you should understand what off topic and free speech means.
Free speech means the government can't stop you from saying some things but last I checked SPCR wasn't the government.

walle

Post by walle » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:16 pm

LAThierry wrote:Right but do you? Do you realize that a political signature will inject its owner's political view in ANY forum they post in?

Any signature made makes a statement about the person making it, at times it might even trigger a reaction amongst some whereas amongst others it might not.

LAThierry wrote:While I'm at it, I also would like to complain about intrusive, large and colorful signatures. Sometimes it's pretty ridiculous that a one line reply is followed by a 4 or 5-line colored signature.
It’s called individual expression, regarding the amount of lines I suppose that they need to fill the quota needed in order to achieve the perfect harmony between amount of lines and colours in their artistic presentation. (some humour)

qviri wrote:Free speech means the government can't stop you from saying some things but last I checked SPCR wasn't the government.
Correct, and that we should learn to appreciate.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:39 am

Honestly I don't appreciate. I come here for silence stuff and that's it. It's a weird combination, because politics are easily the second most popular thing.

Even a site with a combination of silence and pottery would make more sense.

2 things:

1) Latest posts list on the mainpage, the one most people probably use to see what's hot at the moment. Please remove the offtopic subforum from that list.

2) Please do something about political signatures.

Then debate how much you ever want on the offtopic subforum for all I care.

You can say that "stop whining" or whatever, but this is a feedback post and that's my honest opinion, I even bet I'm not alone with it.

But seriously, my image of this site is pretty much "The definite site about silencing computers and fiery politics debates". I wonder if that's what you want to be.

Big Pimp Daddy

Post by Big Pimp Daddy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:11 am

I have to agree with the OP, not on every point, but in general. I tend to steer clear of the off-topic threads, but this means I have to filter them out when scanning the latest posts list. Although not a major inconvenience, it is one of the few things I would change about the site if I could. Don't get me wrong, SPCR is one of my favorite websites, especially the forums, but as "lm" says, this is the site feedback part of the forum. The vast majority of threads in the Off-topic section are posted by the same few people wishing to stir others up or start a flame war, neither of which things interest me in the slightest.
Signatures bother me less, obviously the ones with large images do, but they seem to be very rare here. Personally I think a sig should contain your system specs, as this can give a reader who is unfamiliar with the author an idea of their silencentricity (yes I just made that word up).
Anyway, Mike and Co. do an awesome job, so I'm not going to knock them and will keep logging on until the day they put tubgirl on the front page.