Faulty 150 Watt PicoPSU??

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Kanadian

Faulty 150 Watt PicoPSU??

Post by Kanadian » Mon May 11, 2009 12:22 pm

I have just bought a 150 watt picopsu with the 150 watt adapter/power brick. When I plug the adapter in to the picopsu, the computer won't start and the light on the adapter just blinks. The adapter also makes a faint clicking sound as the light is flashing. Has this happened to anyone else.

I have tried using my older (less powerful) adapter with the new picopsu and everything works fine. Therefore I'm pretty sure it's the adapter. Any thoughts??

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Mon May 11, 2009 10:29 pm

There is something in the manual about a required load to make the PSU operate but if it works with another brick it shouldn't be that..
I'd be contacting the supplier/distributor in the first instance to advise them of the problem and likely warranty claim.

I'll be watching the result of this as I was looking at buying one of these - was the power brick an FSP brand?.

vidagabor

Re: Faulty 150 Watt PicoPSU??

Post by vidagabor » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:46 am

Hi Kanadian! Could you find out what was wrong with your picopsu? Mine shows the same symptomes after a power failure. It just blinks and makes that clicking sound while I press the power button, but does not give power to the mainboard. When I don't press the power button, it does nothing. It was operating for years without interruption, but then the APC backup battery went wrong, then this power failure, and now it seems to be died.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:41 am

vidagabor wrote:Hi Kanadian! Could you find out what was wrong with your picopsu?

Are you aware that you're answering to a six-years-old post?

vidagabor

Post by vidagabor » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:30 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Are you aware that you're answering to a six-years-old post?
Yes I am. She/He may still remember. I'd be glad to know her/his experience to decide the way forward: should I buy a new PSU or a new motherboard. I have limited testing possibilities now, and the PSU hardware didn't change since then, so an answer would be valuable.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:16 pm

vidagabor wrote:an answer would be valuable.

As it's not granted that the OP is actually subscribing such an old thread, probably a PM could work better (providing either he's still an active member, or the registered e-mail address is still working after six years).

vidagabor

Post by vidagabor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:00 am

It turned out that the power supply that give 12V input to the picopsu is faulty. When the picopsu, turned on by the motherboard, tried to supply the motherboard, it couldn't gave not enough power (or so), and it resulted in the experienced symptoms.