Fan replacement for a CM Extreme Power Plus 600w?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

developer1

Fan replacement for a CM Extreme Power Plus 600w?

Post by developer1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:41 am

Hello, I'm trying to lower my case noise as much as I can.. And I have this PSU since 2009 and its stock fan has got very noisy.

It's a Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 600W and the fan used is a brushless model from ADDA: AD1212US-A71GL

Specifications provided by ADDA USA:

Frame Dimensions : 120 X 120 X 25mm
Model Part Number: AD1212US-A71GL
Bearing Type: Sleeve
Volts: 12VDC
Current: 500mA
Power: 6.00 W
Speed: 2500 RPM
Air Flow: 98.6 CFM
Pressure: 0.179 Inches
Noise: 43.3 dBA

I don't wan't to replace it with the same model because it wasn't very quiet at all since the first day. I guess the replacement needs to have equal starting voltage and RPM, right?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

lodestar

Re: Fan replacement for a CM Extreme Power Plus 600w?

Post by lodestar » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:24 am

A replacement certainly need not have the same top speed. Around 1900 to 2000 rpm ought to be OK but finding a 3 pin fan in this speed range is becoming increasingly difficult. One fan you could consider is the Scythe Slip Stream SY122512SH. It has been reviewed by SPCR.

Whether this is a very good idea or not is probably another matter. This is a five year old PSU and you could be better off considering a replacement rather than trying to replace the fan. PSU fans typically are triggered by temperature and from what you say your PSU seems to rely on a fair amount of airflow. The SY122512SH can do the job, it would probably be quieter but it might move less air in doing so and increase internal PSU temperatures. This may well shorten whatever life this PSU has left.

Edit: Cooler Master publish a fan curve for this PSU. This shows a starting voltage of around 5V which is maintained to around 40% of nominal load capacity. At 50% load there is an increase in voltage to 7V and at 60% load it rises to 9V. Given a 2500 rpm rated top speed this might explain why the PSU fan has always seemed to be noisy. If you fitted the SY1225SL12SH, the fan speeds would be 5V 400 rpm, 7V 630 rpm and 9V 1340 rpm. But because the voltage is driven by temperature it is possible that the PSU would increase the voltage beyond the normal levels to compensate for the lower airflow. So the SY122512SH could still be quieter but maybe not as much as might be hoped.

developer1

Post by developer1 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:41 pm

lodestar wrote:A replacement certainly need not have the same top speed. Around 1900 to 2000 rpm ought to be OK but finding a 3 pin fan in this speed range is becoming increasingly difficult. One fan you could consider is the Scythe Slip Stream SY122512SH. It has been reviewed by SPCR.

Whether this is a very good idea or not is probably another matter. This is a five year old PSU and you could be better off considering a replacement rather than trying to replace the fan. PSU fans typically are triggered by temperature and from what you say your PSU seems to rely on a fair amount of airflow. The SY122512SH can do the job, it would probably be quieter but it might move less air in doing so and increase internal PSU temperatures. This may well shorten whatever life this PSU has left.

Edit: Cooler Master publish a fan curve for this PSU. This shows a starting voltage of around 5V which is maintained to around 40% of nominal load capacity. At 50% load there is an increase in voltage to 7V and at 60% load it rises to 9V. Given a 2500 rpm rated top speed this might explain why the PSU fan has always seemed to be noisy. If you fitted the SY1225SL12SH, the fan speeds would be 5V 400 rpm, 7V 630 rpm and 9V 1340 rpm. But because the voltage is driven by temperature it is possible that the PSU would increase the voltage beyond the normal levels to compensate for the lower airflow. So the SY122512SH could still be quieter but maybe not as much as might be hoped.

Thanks lodestar, this was very clear and helpful. I forgot to answer when I read it back in that time. You convinced me to get a new PSU. I've opened a new thread to ask about the PSUs I've found in stock, as I thought it was more convenient than doing it here
Last edited by developer1 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:02 pm

A pretty solid fan for replacing a PSU fan is Scythe Gentle Typhoon, i replaced one on Corsair TX650 that i blieve had a 2100rpm ada, and its been working pretty good.

Scythe GentleTyphoon D1225C12B5AP-15 120mm 1850 rpm Silent Case Fan has a very wide range of operation, has a real ball bearing so shoudlnt matter the horizontal placement much, and has MTBF: 55,000h