Antec Signature for Haswell-E or time to upgrade

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

davewolfs

Antec Signature for Haswell-E or time to upgrade

Post by davewolfs » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:16 am

So I finally have a reason to upgrade my 920. I'd like to move up to an 8 core Haswell-E.

My Antec Signature 850 has served me extremely well over the years! Any reason to upgrade this unit if making the jump to Haswell-E?

Would appreciate any suggestions if you have any.

quest_for_silence

Re: Antec Signature for Haswell-E or time to upgrade

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:42 am

davewolfs wrote:Any reason to upgrade this unit if making the jump to Haswell-E?

Actually there's no compelling reason to swap the PSU. Broadly speaking, with the best contemporary units you might sligthly improve in several respects (voltage stability, but that's unimportant, efficiency, by not dramatically given the expected power draw of such a powerhouse, and noise level, just if you aren't satisfied or if you're very nitpicky): but with reference to reliability YMMV, as the Delta-based Signatures are built to last much longer than any ATX PSU available, while about the likely most important performance of an high-end PSU (I mean noise/ripple suppression) the Signature is still top notch.

What I actually don't know is whether the Signature is Haswell compliant (you know, those deep C6/C7 sleep states), or not: but given that we're not talking about a notebook, personally I get rid of it.

davewolfs

Post by davewolfs » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:49 am

What out there these days compares to the signature?

Apparently the SG-850 is compatible. http://techreport.com/review/24897/the- ... ility-list

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:08 am

davewolfs wrote:What out there these days compares to the signature?

It depends: what are you looking for? The most expensive PSU in the market? The most powerful ones? The current best in class with reference to the same wattage?