Strange sparking sound from PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

chriszhxi

Strange sparking sound from PSU

Post by chriszhxi » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:32 am

I sometimes but not all times find that my PSU is making a intermittent sparking clicking popping whatever sound, it's definitely not coil whine nor fan rattling, something like electric arcing or static electricity sound. When it does it, it does more loudly and frequently when under load.

I have switched several PSUs, most of them does it. So I thought it's because of power line and bought a Monster 3600 MKII Power Center, and this power center does it too! The voltage is pretty steady from the read on the power center, constantly 120v, sometimes 119v or 121v, what's the problem and what I could do to it?

CA_Steve

Re: Strange sparking sound from PSU

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:40 am

You bought a $300 appliance of dubious value and didn't get the $7 outlet tester that I recommended here?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:38 pm

have you tired these items at a completely different location? like at work, or at a family or friend's house?

chriszhxi

Post by chriszhxi » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:10 am

CA_Steve wrote:You bought a $300 appliance of dubious value and didn't get the $7 outlet tester that I recommended here?
This issue is different from what I posted before.

Actually all the outlets in the house are not grounded, but that's not the issue, I tried making a temp grounding with connecting a wire to the water pipe, I have a Belkin outlets has ground indicate, which made no difference.

I even took the psu to nearby Starbucks and found the same thing, so I think it's because of the power in this area.

Besides the Monster power conditioner, I also got Furman Pl-Plus C power conditioner and somehow it works, not eliminating all the noise but I can barely hear it with my ear right to the psu but it's still there I can tell.

edh

Post by edh » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:27 am

chriszhxi wrote:Actually all the outlets in the house are not grounded
This is not good. Can I ask where you live? Electrical regulations do vary between countries but I'd be keen to find this out so we can have some ideas of what might be wrong.

I really wouldn't recommend spending money on power conditioners. It does nothing to fix the actual problem and as you don't know what the problem even is yet, you can't choose the right path to fix it.

If there is a problem with other properties it could indicate a problem with cabling or at the substation in which case you should be reporting that. It could also be that they're not earthed either. Try in more locations to get the proper picture.