PSU Size and Selection Help Required

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

mmolignano

PSU Size and Selection Help Required

Post by mmolignano » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:54 am

Hello all and thanks in advance for any advice.

I've been trying to read through a bunch of the stickied posts and past posts with similar veins about suggested power PSUs, but I'm still feeling slightly overwhelmed and can't quite decide what would be best.

I'm in the process of selecting parts for a new machine, and I'm stuck at the PSU. I have tried looking online for calculators that tell you what size you need, but I find they are all giving me vastly different answers (and what looks like higher than what is suggested here on this site most times). I'm wondering if there's a site you would suggest that would give me more reliable answers to the size I should be targeting?

In addition, does the change from Gold -> Platinum make much of a difference? I've been looking and there's so many to choose from that I wonder if I'll be fine with Gold, or of choosing a Platinum rated is really that much better.

Current selection:

CPU: i7 6700k (most likely overclocked at some point)
cooler: Kotetsu
Mobo: Undecided
Case: R5
Memory: 16 or 32 GB (unknown on speed yet or if I'll mess around with the ram at all)
GPU: 980 Ti (possibly overclocked)
Additional:
- Maybe an extra fan or two in addition to what comes with the case
- 2 SSDs
- maybe 1 or 2 7200rpm disks
- BluRay drive
- media card reader
- Possible WiFi card

Any help greatly appreciated on picking out the PSU. I'm shopping in the US online unless instore pickup has better prices, I'd be looking in the $80-$130 price range.

CA_Steve

Re: PSU Size and Selection Help Required

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:51 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Here's a easy way to calculate your power use: CPU TDP + Gfx card TDP + 50W (mobo and everything else*) + OC wattage = stressed load.

For your system, 91W + 250W + 50W + OC = 391W + OC.

Reviews show OC'ing the gfx card leads to 35-60W extra load power. OC'ing the CPU can add 10-50W depending on whether you just up the clock rate or also overvolt. So, call it a range of 435 to 500W stressed load power. High gaming load will be about 85% of this, 370 to 425W.

* assumes mobo, RAM, 2 drives, ODD, 3 fans.

Now, choose a PSU that's quieter than your gfx card while gaming :)

Platinum over Gold: No huge benefit, except Platinum PSUs at reasonable wattages also tend to have GREAT low wattage efficiencies.

Some suggestions:
- be quiet! Straight Power 10 600CM. low speed fan is very quiet throughout range.
- EVGA Supernova P2 650W. Reasonable cost, platinum, and probably fanless with your loads.

What are your apps/uses? We can help tune your build.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:29 am

i agree with steve, i would go with the EVGA SuperNOVA 220-P2-0650-X1 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular continuous Power Supply, atm has a cupon for 15% off (code EVGAPSU15) and 20 MIR, seems like a great price for very good PSU.

If you wish to read more about it, check JonnyGuru Reviews - EVGA Supernova P2 650W.
Summary

In what comes as no surprise to me after all this time of looking at EVGA's units, the P2 650 watt model is one fantastic performer. It has some of the lowest ripple I've ever seen, it's as stable as I've ever seen, and it runs so cool it hardly ever needs to turn the fan on. Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a computer right over here with EVGA's name on it.

The Good:

amazing ripple suppression
fantastic voltage stability
fully modular
exceptional low load efficiency
ran fanless most of the time

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:33 am

Oh yeah. The easier way to determine your power load? Just look at a handful of GTX 980 Ti reviews with overclocking. They'll usually state the power use and you can compare your components with those used in the test. :)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:36 am

CA_Steve wrote:- EVGA Supernova P2 650W. Reasonable cost, platinum, and probably fanless with your loads.
That EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650 is 79 USD AMIR at NewEgg till 10/31 with promo code EVGAPSU15 and possible free shipping: not too shabby, I'd say. :wink:

To the OP: if you trust EVGA/NewEgg's MIR (actually an Amex gift card, I guess, but check twice), pick it up, quickly.

mmolignano

Post by mmolignano » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:43 am

Thanks for the quick reply everyone!

Current usage will be all over the place. Some gaming, some general desktop use, as well as some photo/video editing and media serving.

Currently the only things that are already picked out are GPU (already have it) and CPU (want to play around with the new i7 skylake).
Other than that I'm up for suggestions or changes to what I listed above.

I figured I'd start by picking a case, and from all the articles and suggestions I read it looked like the R5 was a great pick and would easily fit everything I'll need.
It looks like the fans that come with it have been reviewed favorably? I'm not sure what the best configuration is that you would suggest? Should any fans be added to what comes with the case, if so how many and which type?

Logically I thought since I knew what GPU and CPU I would have, I figured picking the PSU would probably be a good next step.

It looks like the EVGA P2 650W is a good price right now on newegg with an instant discount and MIR (~ $82).

Assuming this PSU, any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated for the rest.
CPU Cooler: Selected the Kotetsu after reading reviews, but if there's a better option I'm open
Mobo: Just want to make sure it has the hookups and can handle the optimal fan setup (not sure what that is)
Memory: Haven't gotten to this yet, so I really have no idea what's best

Thanks again all!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:08 pm

mobo: I like Asus for the awesome bios level fan controls. Z170-A and Z170 Gaming both have good feature sets and Intel NIC.

RAM: Very little benefit to go beyond DDR4 2400 speed. If it was just a gaming/streaming box, I'd say 2 x 4GB is enough. If you tend toward editing lots of high resolution photos at the same time, then 16GB may help. Same for 4k/8k video. 32GB is only useful if you like to runs lots of VMs, do intensive 3D modeling, edit orchestral levels of audio, and other memory intensive tasks. Always useful to get the low profile stuff to prevent potential conflict with cpu cooler.

cooler: If you intend to overclock w/o overvolting, the Kotetsu is great. If you intend to overvolt, then the more massive Ninja 4 might be a better choice.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:31 pm

mmolignano wrote:CPU Cooler: Selected the Kotetsu after reading reviews, but if there's a better option I'm open
Well SPCR reviewed the SCYTHE NINJA 4 CPU COOLER #SCNJ-4000 and came out better, SCPR Scythe Ninja 4: A Legend Reborn.
mmolignano wrote:Mobo: Just want to make sure it has the hookups and can handle the optimal fan setup (not sure what that is)
Go with Asus, they seem to have made better their UEFI/Bios fan control, or if you like you can use FanXpert2. Personally i like more MSI and just pure bios fan control, but thats me.
mmolignano wrote:Memory: Haven't gotten to this yet, so I really have no idea what's best
Memory has very little impact on a dedicated gpu setup, read SPCR Skylake Memory Scaling with Kingston Predator DDR4-3000, i would simply go with the cheapest that you trust, avoid memory with high heatsinks, they are really not needed, its more a marketing scheme.

mmolignano

Post by mmolignano » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:23 am

CA_Steve wrote:cooler: If you intend to overclock w/o overvolting, the Kotetsu is great. If you intend to overvolt, then the more massive Ninja 4 might be a better choice.
Abula wrote:
mmolignano wrote:CPU Cooler: Selected the Kotetsu after reading reviews, but if there's a better option I'm open
Well SPCR reviewed the SCYTHE NINJA 4 CPU COOLER #SCNJ-4000 and came out better, SCPR Scythe Ninja 4: A Legend Reborn.
I agree and would get this if it were more available in the US. As far as I can tell its only available really from coolerguys, which comes to ~$60 when you include shipping, whereas I can currently get the Kotetsu for ~$42. I don't think the difference between them is worth the $18 when it seems like they are both near the top of coolers available.

CA_Steve wrote:mobo: I like Asus for the awesome bios level fan controls. Z170-A and Z170 Gaming both have good feature sets and Intel NIC.
Abula wrote:
mmolignano wrote:Mobo: Just want to make sure it has the hookups and can handle the optimal fan setup (not sure what that is)
Go with Asus, they seem to have made better their UEFI/Bios fan control, or if you like you can use FanXpert2. Personally i like more MSI and just pure bios fan control, but thats me.
I've always like Asus myself. I'm leaning toward them right now, specifically the Aus Z170 Pro Gaming, which seems to have enough for what I want without breaking the bank at the ROG level.

CA_Steve wrote:RAM: Very little benefit to go beyond DDR4 2400 speed. If it was just a gaming/streaming box, I'd say 2 x 4GB is enough. If you tend toward editing lots of high resolution photos at the same time, then 16GB may help. Same for 4k/8k video. 32GB is only useful if you like to runs lots of VMs, do intensive 3D modeling, edit orchestral levels of audio, and other memory intensive tasks. Always useful to get the low profile stuff to prevent potential conflict with cpu cooler.
Abula wrote:
mmolignano wrote:Memory: Haven't gotten to this yet, so I really have no idea what's best
Memory has very little impact on a dedicated gpu setup, read SPCR Skylake Memory Scaling with Kingston Predator DDR4-3000, i would simply go with the cheapest that you trust, avoid memory with high heatsinks, they are really not needed, its more a marketing scheme.
Thanks for this, I'm going to look through and see if I can find something around the 2400 speed probably 2x8GB. Any suggestions for manufacturers that have good low profile dimms?

Lastly, what would be suggested for fans in the R5? From this review it looks like it comes with 2 fans that they mention are good. Is adding additional fans worth it/needed for better cooling? If not, is what they do with the foam under the front fan helpful?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:59 am

Crucial, G.Skill, Kingston all sell RAM w/o the tall heatspreaders and are the first three that come to mind.

Easiest route: Try it with the two stock fans and see if it provides the thermal/noise levels you want. Maybe run the front faster than the rear for a little positive airflow. If you go with three, or want to swap out the fans, I found the Antec True Quiet 140mm to be very quiet.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Any suggestions for manufacturers that have good low profile dimms?
you don't actually need low profile memory, just normal memory without a tall heatspreader. (BTW RAM heatspreaders are basically pointless.)

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:18 am

mmolignano wrote:Thanks for this, I'm going to look through and see if I can find something around the 2400 speed probably 2x8GB. Any suggestions for manufacturers that have good low profile dimms?
Most brands are good, Im building a new setup this weekend and we chose Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory (HX421C14FBK2/16), it was one of the cheapest, and we invested the extra money into a better GPU =). Go with whatever you like, really dont matter much, probably looks matter more now, at least on the outcome of what you gain.
mmolignano wrote:Lastly, what would be suggested for fans in the R5? From this review it looks like it comes with 2 fans that they mention are good. Is adding additional fans worth it/needed for better cooling? If not, is what they do with the foam under the front fan helpful?
I always aim to have positive preassure on my builds, to try to avoid the case becomes a vacum and suck dust on openings like the PSU (when passive) or the PCI slots, etc, so i do recommend to add a fan, which.... depends on you, one of the cheapest and rank very well on SCPR Second 140 mm Fan Roundup: Antec, bequiet!, Corsair, Scythe, is the Antec True Quiet 140, i would move the back to the front, and place the antec on the back, its a little hard to install the rubber screws, not super hard, but if you want a more standard fan consider Noctua NF-P14s redux-900.