Might need a new power supply...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Resiroth

Might need a new power supply...

Post by Resiroth » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:12 am

So my computer wouldn't boot a few days ago, and my motherboard seems to have gone kaput (I hit the power button and lights flash, fans spin for 2 seconds and then no more power)...but the power supply passes the paperclip test, even though it smells funny, that may have been how it always smelled (I don't smell my PSU often, do you?). So if my PSU is in fact broken, despite passing the paperclip test (but not the smell test) I wanted to be prepared to buy a silent replacement PSU.

I have a skylake mobo/cpu/ram coming, and currently have a gtx 660, will likely upgrade to pascal too. So power supply requirements are moderate I would guess (under 600W for sure).

I only really care about my noise at idle, since at idle only 2 noctua 120mm fans spin at low rpm (GPU fans shut off).

Given that, would it make sense to buy http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-RM750-Mod ... 195&sr=8-2 ? It seems like it won't even have the fan kick on during gaming if it is truly silent up to 300W.

It's going into an SG07 mini itx case, so it needs to be modular. It's also highly preferable that it is available from amazon for same-day delivery as I want to get this figured out before I start work again. Suggestions under 100 are welcome, also looking at: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS which should be silent at idle only, but is 20 bucks less.

quest_for_silence

Re: Might need a new power supply...

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:21 pm

Resiroth wrote:Suggestions under 100 are welcome, also looking at: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS which should be silent at idle only, but is 20 bucks less.
I don't think ATX PSUs would easily fit inside a SG07/08 (and in case a 140mm units should be preferred): personally I'd look at a Corsair SF450/SF600 SFX PSU.

Resiroth

Post by Resiroth » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:46 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
Resiroth wrote:Suggestions under 100 are welcome, also looking at: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS which should be silent at idle only, but is 20 bucks less.
I don't think ATX PSUs would easily fit inside a SG07/08 (and in case a 140mm units should be preferred): personally I'd look at a Corsair SF450/SF600 SFX PSU.
Believe it or not it's a full ATX PSU. It's a pretty large case for mini-ITX. Is the reason you suggested those PSUs because they're SFX form factor? I googled a bit more and it seems that the 750W G2 (at 100 dollars currently) is the way to go...but that really seems bonkers considering I know my load is a mere 300W if that. Perhaps I should think of it as a 400W fanless PSU that can transform into a normal 750W fanned PSU.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:01 pm

Resiroth wrote:Believe it or not it's a full ATX PSU. It's a pretty large case for mini-ITX. Is the reason you suggested those PSUs because they're SFX form factor? I googled a bit more and it seems that the 750W G2 (at 100 dollars currently) is the way to go...but that really seems bonkers considering I know my load is a mere 300W if that. Perhaps I should think of it as a 400W fanless PSU that can transform into a normal 750W fanned PSU.
As said, ATM I don't think a G2 (180mm) may fit, but perhaps with dwarf cards (and there are some).
900x900px-LL-3494cf0f_IMG_20140424_195935.jpeg
[/url]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.