Power Adaptor for HTPC/Mini ITX Build

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Tvgt

Power Adaptor for HTPC/Mini ITX Build

Post by Tvgt » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:56 pm

Building my first HTPC Mac Mini Hackintosh

So I have finally decided to get rid of my old 2006 mac mini and build a new HTPC/Mini ITX system. I am leaning towards getting a Gigabyte GA-H110N motherboard running the I3-6100 processor with either 8GB DDR4 Hyperfury X or 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Low profile ram modules. This is still undecided and may change but will be making a pretty basic system i.e. motherboard,cpu, cpu fan, ram, one hdd, one additional fan.

I have ordered a Realan W80 case and Realan 250w DC power supply to start with. I am in need of a AC power brick adaptor strong enough to power it and after hours of looking online, I am still confused when it comes to watts, volts, amps etc.

Will something like this be strong enough to power a system or would I need something stronger.

I am in Canada if that helps.

quest_for_silence

Re: Power Adaptor for HTPC/Mini ITX Build

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:04 am

Tvgt wrote:Will something like this be strong enough to power a system or would I need something stronger.

60W may be enough to run a quad core off it, but I'd look for something more efficient and of better quality than that basic brick, maybe something either like this or like this (if the connectors match your requirement, I didn't check).

Stevo_

Re: Power Adaptor for HTPC/Mini ITX Build

Post by Stevo_ » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:23 pm

Tvgt wrote:Building my first HTPC Mac Mini Hackintosh

So I have finally decided to get rid of my old 2006 mac mini and build a new HTPC/Mini ITX system. I am leaning towards getting a Gigabyte GA-H110N motherboard running the I3-6100 processor with either 8GB DDR4 Hyperfury X or 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Low profile ram modules. This is still undecided and may change but will be making a pretty basic system i.e. motherboard,cpu, cpu fan, ram, one hdd, one additional fan.

I have ordered a Realan W80 case and Realan 250w DC power supply to start with. I am in need of a AC power brick adaptor strong enough to power it and after hours of looking online, I am still confused when it comes to watts, volts, amps etc.

Will something like this be strong enough to power a system or would I need something stronger.

I am in Canada if that helps.
I'd go for a bit more headroom, mini-box has high efficiency EDAC brand bricks like this 120W unit http://www.mini-box.com/12v-10A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter