LED electrical question + short circuit question

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

soulie

LED electrical question + short circuit question

Post by soulie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:43 am

Sidenote : I am very very very novice when it comes to anything with V/I/R/W,A,Ohm... ;p

1)I did install a custom start button some time ago and plugged that into the motherboard , one of following:

http://www.aquatuning.nl/waterkoeling/m ... pin?c=4930

Now it did work before but the LED stopped working so I tested it on a 12V -5A battery which resulted positive in a shining LED. Now I noticed the LED was actually 12V specification from the beginning so hooked it up now to a Molex 12V line and works again.Apparently most front panel motherboard connector only supply 3-5V for LED?

Any reason a 12V led working on 5V before is not working now , weather , led wearing out,...? If I swap the button with a newer one that works still from the motherboard connection.

2) By accident I short circuited either 12V or 5V pins for the button which resulted off course in the power supply shutting down but then it did not boot for a while, I know in a house there safety switches basically jumping into a off position but how does a power supply do it. Because after waiting for a while everything is working again. Could it have dmg any system parts?

Regards Ward.

PS not sure In which forum to post this.