overwhelmed by options for gaming PSU!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

jodansmif

overwhelmed by options for gaming PSU!

Post by jodansmif » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:07 pm

Hello everyone, I've found your posts to be invaluable so far as I've compiled a shortlist of capable-seeming PSUs for my new ATX build. I was hoping to get a bit of help making a final decision?

Anyway, here's the system I'm planning so far:
- Define R5
- i5 6600 (don't want to bother w/ overclocking, like the lower TDP preferred to 6600K)
- GTX 1070 (suggestions for a specific, quiet model are welcome!)
- Asus Z170A or MSI Z170A SLI PLUS
- 16GB of DDR4 (brand TBA)
- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB and WD Red 3TB (will probably suspend the HDD)

Various online watt calculators suggest I'll need at least 300W. However, seems like most of the talked-about PSU are north of 550W, which I don't mind since that leaves room for a possible SLI.

My main priority is low noise- I'd prefer a constant, low level fan noise to either coil whine or a rapidly changing fan noise. I don't care about appearance though I'd prefer modular cables. I do not want to attempt a fan replacement or to control the fan manually.

I'd like to spend $150 or less but I could go up to $175 or $200. I live in the US.

Here's my shortlist of PSUs:
- Seasonic Prime 650 ($160)
- Enermax Platimax 600 ($155)
- beQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 650 ($140)
- Corsair RMi Gold 650 ($120)
- Corsair RMx Gold 650 ($110)
- EVGA SuperNOVA P2 (650W $100, $80 after rebate)

Seasonic has a reputation for quality. The Enermax has a great SCPR review. Several forum posters seem enamored with the beQuiet but recommend the Corsairs for value. Finally, the EVGA seems like a steal but only depending on the sub-contractor?

Anyway, I'm a bit overwhelmed and wouldn't mind some help.

quest_for_silence

Re: overwhelmed by options for gaming PSU!

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Long story short, a 6600 + 1070 draw around 200w while gaming, so I'd pick the cheapest between the Corsair RM550x and the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W (or P2 if conveniently priced).

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:23 pm

Try to be reasonable and sensible. The likes of Corsair are bribing reviewers and Youtubers to lure people into the superstition that they need to go for a premium PSU rated no less than 600W. In reality, as long as you use a Skylake i5 CPU and a Pascal GPU up to GTX 1070, you don't really need more than 300W.

Seasonic indeed has a reputation for quality but it is also notorious for coil whine.

Bluntly speaking, almost all modern PSUs are unbelievably over-specced. I suppose that ST30SF priced $60 (Newegg) is more than sufficient for up to GTX 1060. I actually have encountered no problem whatsoever with ST30SF and GTX 970 (non-reference GTX 970 and 1070 consume almost the same amount of power). Unless your GPU is phenomenally silent (e.g., Palit GTX 1070 or Zotac GTX 1070 AMP Extreme), you won't be able to tell the PSU fan noise from GPU fan noise under full load.

jodansmif

Post by jodansmif » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:21 am

Yeah, I knew I was likely overbuying on the wattage. However, there seem to be almost no reviews for lower-wattage units. Also, it doesn't seem like the extra wattage is particularly expensive - an extra $20 to bump up from the ST30F to the P2 650 seems like cheap insurance if I ever decide to double up on GTX 1070s.

...so there's seriously no noticeable noise difference between all the units on the list? If that's really the case, I guess I'll be ordering the P2 tonight when I get home from work.