Need some opinions on server PSU modding

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Abula

Need some opinions on server PSU modding

Post by Abula » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:51 am

Hi,

Im about to enter a hobby that will take me back to PSUs, RC car 1/10 touring electric, this hobby requieres charging, thus you need a PSU + Charger, but most chargers that can deliever really high speed charging requiere a very powerful PSU, some are 12V but they also use 24V and 48V. I have been near servers and to me their PSU are just ballistic in terms of noise, so im trying to avoid it.

Do you guys think server PSU could be modded safely? we are talking big draws of current here, much more than a computer, thus if i end up with inadequate cooling it could burn.

The PSU that im considering is the Mean Well RSP-1000-24 Power Supply, there are others, but as with my bricks, meanwell is a brand that lot recommend for servers, and for the RC hobbiest.

I was thinking on a make some 120mm holes on the top and placing some 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoons, i own 500/800/1150 rpms that i could use, but unsure into if this PSU grabs any info or needs some fan reporting like rpms etc to work correctly, i really never have tested a server PSU.

Another thing could be to buy standard PC PSU like Corsair AX1500i or EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2, im sure this would be less noisy even at full load, but i do have my doubts into why they dont use PSU like this, probably server grade have higher quality and less prone to failure on full loads, idk really.

So what do you guys suggest?

quest_for_silence

Re: Need some opinions on server PSU modding

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:10 am

Abula wrote:So what do you guys suggest?
Ask that on jonnyguru.com :wink: