picoPSU for Core i7 system?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

sahziw

picoPSU for Core i7 system?

Post by sahziw » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:48 am

I'm planning a Core i7 mini-ITX build. The manufacture of some of the parts has not been decided yet, but the specifications will be as follows:

- Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI [?W]
- Core i7-6700T [35W TDP]
- CPU cooler [3W]
- DDR4 2133MHz 32GB RAM [?W]
- M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD [7W]

I want to be able to connect an external 2.5 HDD, two USB sticks and a smartphone or tablet via USB 3.0. It's important that the system will not suddenly switch off under high load, as a result of the power supply not being able to deliver enough power.

I have been looking at the picoPSU-90 and the picoPSU-150-XT as I want a picoPSU that is born with a P4 cable.

Can the picoPSU-90 deliver enough power to the system or is the picoPSU-150-XT required?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: picoPSU for Core i7 system?

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:41 am

While either would work, I'd go with the picoPSU-150-XT. It's a bit beefier and the price difference seems to be only 10$ or so.

More important is the brick. With a powerful brick you don't need to go with a factory underclocked T part even, unless you want to.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:55 pm

sahziw wrote:Can the picoPSU-90 deliver enough power to the system or is the picoPSU-150-XT required?
Hard to say for sure, as i dont own a i7 6700T, but i can tell you that on my Cammi (link on my signature) build with a i7 4770K stressing it with prime95, it can reach 150W on my picoPSU 150XT, but usual load is around 65W, so my suggestions is to go with 150XT with 150W brick.

I also agree with Vicotnik, i would also go with the standard version, you can still limit the power on windows or bios, and you will have a better resell value later on, as it will still be a very capable cpu in the years to come.

As a last suggestion, take a look into AsRock motherboards, they are very efficient, almost as good as intel mobos, has a much better bios fan control and its cheaper.

sahziw

Post by sahziw » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:58 am

I will use picoPSU-150-XT with a 150W brick. If I understand correctly, the system will only draw the power it needs so I will not get a bigger electrical bill with 150W instead of 90W?

Thank you both for commenting on my choice of CPU. I chose i7-6700T to begin with so maybe a picoPSU-90 would be enough, but why that limit? I have now done some research on i7-6700 and found a test made by SPCR. Stressed with CPUBurn/Prime95 the i7-6700 system will only consume 102W and i7-6700K 107W. However, I prefer the CPU TDP to not exceed 65W as this is the limit for the cooling system. In my region i7-6700 is even a little cheaper than i7-6700T, so I will definitely use i7-6700 in my build.

Regarding the motherboard, I had a hard time finding a mini-ITX that would fit my requirements. The GA-Z170N-WIFI while not perfect seems to match the most. M.2 2280 slot, two HDMI ports, good onboard audio, Intel GbE and the ability to remove WiFi card. GA-H170N-WIFI with H170 chipset instead of Z170 would be fine also, but the price is almost identical so I chose the Z170 model. However, it seems like the motherboard has a flaw that makes the CPU trottle as described here, I don't know if this could be a deal breaker for me, maybe the issue has been resolved, I need to research it further.

siensooslunkeylew

Post by siensooslunkeylew » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:45 pm

That system should typically run around 50-70W so a 90W pico should be OK. I would feel more comfortable with a 120W.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:37 pm

not really apples to apples - but I'm using no-name picoPSU knock-off (because I can get only low power REAL picoPSU where I live).
It's rated @200W (year right :roll: ) and accepts 18V brick - that is a more common voltage for the high power bricks.

I'm using it with 140W HP power brick (from a laptop), using i5 3.9Ghz with integrated GPU, 2x SSD and 1xHDD.
For normal work, everything is ok - power consumption is from 40W to 60W tops measured with kill-a-wat.
But for really intensive work - like rendering a 3D scene on 4 cores - the system shuts down after a 10min, and I have to unplug it from the wall to "reset" (maybe resetting a fuse or something) because it won't start again without it.

It's 100% this "picoPSU" fault, because switching to normal PSU resolves the problem. And it can be a number of things - starting from being a low-quality product (a picoPSU knock-off) or just a faulty hardware. But just wanted to let you know. And except that high-cpu-case-scenario everything works stable, even when doing other cpu demanding tasks - like exporting a movie from After Effects or encoding a movie.