New fan for Cooler Master V550?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

fferdee

New fan for Cooler Master V550?

Post by fferdee » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:16 pm

I have a two year old Cooler Master V550 in a HTPC/gaming rig and its fan is now making a low rumble that is bothersome. The PSU has done fine for me and I'd like to just replace the fan instead of the whole thing. Is this reasonable? I've seen the Scythe Flow 2 120mm mentioned here a few times but I am unsure if this is what this PSU needs.

I haven't cracked open the PSU but it's supposed to have the Silencio FP 120 http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cas ... -120-3pin/. I -could- get the same fan but... yaknow... always looking for better.

Thanks

quest_for_silence

Re: New fan for Cooler Master V550?

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:41 am

How is that PSU mounted? With the fan facing downwards or upwards?

BTW, the warranty on these units should be longer than just two years: I mean, you might RMA/return it, mightn't you?

fferdee wrote:but it's supposed to have the Silencio FP 120 http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cas ... -120-3pin/
It is not that fan: the retail one is a 0.05A / 1200rpm fan, with a starting voltage of 3V. OTOH the PSU fan is a 0.16A / 2250rpm variant, with an unknown (to me) starting voltage.

fferdee

Post by fferdee » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:01 am

Psu is facing down in a Fractal Design Node 304.

You are right about the warranty, five years, I just assumed 1-2 like everything else. I'd love if they can send me another PSU and then ship the old one, but in case they don't is there a good silent fan I can use? I'd rather spend the $20 than wait several weeks for a repair.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:24 am

fferdee wrote:is there a good silent fan I can use? I'd rather spend the $20 than wait several weeks for a repair.

I can't help, because I don't know the stock fan starting voltage: maybe you can drop an e-mail to the CM customer support to ask for that, or you can ask if there is someone who knows this datum onto some specialized forum, like JonnyGuru's one. Eventually you might hook up the PSU stock fan to some regulated power supply to manually check that value by yourself (perhaps a mobo header might work too, paired with SpeedFan or similar controlling sw): unfortunately this last option requires you void the warranty before knowing if a suitable fan actually exist.

An alternative, more expensive option might be to RMA your V550, buy another suitable PSU, and then resell on the local 2nd hand market the replacement unit when it will arrive (or even any of those two you should like less).

fferdee

Post by fferdee » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:42 am

Gotcha. I didn't realize fans for PSUs were so difficult to match. You gave me plenty of good advice to work on.

Buying a new/better PSU and selling the fixed V550 sounds like a winner. Thanks for the advice!

Smanci

Post by Smanci » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:29 am

I've got the same issue with the V450S. Contacted CM representative (with a video clip of the noise) and they said it's faulty and I should just take it back to the retailer. If the retailer thinks it's not faulty just tell you had a chat with CM about it.