EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 buzzing at random times

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

bburk

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 buzzing at random times

Post by bburk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:35 pm

I had posted this as a reply to an old thread about PS buzz, but I think it may have gotten lost.

About the same problem here with an EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 except the buzzing occurs at pretty much any random time, not just gaming. System is plugged in to a UPS. It can go hours and be silent, then it starts buzzing. Changing GPUs made no difference, this happens even when there is NO GPU load to speak of. I am only pushing it to 60FPS (at 2160p). The wall outlet has been tested with a receptacle tester.

EVGA has sent me 3 replacements under warranty. The 2 refurbs they sent were even worse, they finally sent me another new PS and it's slightly better. Something is just not compatible and I am stumped.

Any suggestions on a different PS to try that is as quiet?

One thing I have been debating on is whether to mount the PS fan side up or fan side down (insert Dr. Suess jokes here...). The case is made for a bottom mounted PS. Down would let it's fan push the air out the bottom and not go through the rest of the system. Up lets the PS vent heat better when it's fan is not running (which is most all of the time), but it is venting the heat up through the system. No components are having heat problems with it up ATM, so unless there is good reason to change that...?

Abula

Re: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 buzzing at random times

Post by Abula » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Im still very worried that its not the PSU, you have tried one and then 3x EVGA P2, i own one and its been perfect on my test bench and its open so i would hear it even more than on a closed case.
bburk wrote:Any suggestions on a different PS to try that is as quiet?
If you really think its the PSU, and you want to try another, i just did a build with a Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W and in my build is totally silent, i cant hear any coil or whine or buzz. if your pc still buzzes with this PSU, then its something else.

bburk

Re: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 buzzing at random times

Post by bburk » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:03 am

I know it's not the PSU directly, but some combination problem. My brother has the same PSU and had no problems with it. It just does not get along with something else and the end result is it's making the PSU buzz (and I am sure the buzz is from the PSU).

I've thought about trying that Seasonic, but I have seen reports of coil whine from it from some, and many say they have no problem, so I have my concerns.