It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How good (quiet) are modern SFX PSU?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:25 pm 

After close to 6 years for my last build, I'm currently looking to put together a new build based on a Core i7 8700 (not K, because I never overclock) on either a ITX or micro ATX MB, using 1 M2 + 1 2.5inch SSD drive, and carry the old GTX980 over for the rare gaming moments with the potential to upgrade to one of the new GPU later down the line (eyeing 1070 or better). I'm looking to drive an ultrawide screen monitor with 3440 x 1440 resolution. With minimal parts to play with I'd thought it might be worth looking at SFF cases again with small foot prints (eg Silverstone RVZ03, Phantek Evolv Shift or some other small cubes from Lian Li). Long story short - my last build was once housed in a Silverstone FT06 Mini which uses SFX PSU and the Silverstone PSU fan noise got so annoying because the it would constantly kick even when not gaming in so I ditched that case for something bigger so I can go back to a Seasonic ATX fanless PSU and a large Noctua tower cooler etc and got everything quiet again.

So my question is, how good (quiet) are the modern SFX PSUs when used in a small gaming build? Will the noise be audible in non-gaming usage? Or are they still not good enough that I should forget SFF cases and go with something that takes ATX PSUs? Or if I should go the opposite direction and give up on gaming on the PC altogether in which case the load would probably not get the SFX PSU fans to kick in?

Post subject: Re: How good (quiet) are modern SFX PSU?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:34 pm 

They are probably much better than they were 5 years ago.

SFX PSU's still suffer from the limitation of 120mm fans needing to spin faster than 140mm fans to achieve the same airflow. Thankfully, in recent years, newer desktop PC components have been consuming less power so smaller power supplies do not need as much load.