Max recommended temp for Hard Drive?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

I've just ordered a Barracuda for my final system, which hopefully will report 'internal' temps with DTEMP, but for now I have an older maxtor mounted in a "noisecontrol novibes" mount, with a thermistor sensor pressed against the case with the rubber band from the novibes mount.
<BR>
<BR>I'm noticing temps of around 40 C with the drive in the novibes, with no special cooling methodology in place (ambient room temp around 24 C).
<BR>
<BR>Is this an OK temp, or am I risking failure at some point? Should I expect similar temps with the Barracuda (80 gig)?
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Check Maxtor's drive temp specs. The outside of the case will always be a bit cooler than the inside; maybe add 5C as a guess to what the internal temp is.
[addsig]

Oz

Post by Oz » Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:36 am

My drive usually hangs around 45 C, and during 100% CPU load it goes up to about 50 C. I don't think this is too good, since the maximum the vendor recommends is 55 C. Might it be worth putting a panaflo directly above the drive, or something like that?

Cheers,
Oz

P.S. 51 C max. CPU temp is ok after 2 hours of 100% load, right?

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:03 am

Oz wrote:P.S. 51 C max. CPU temp is ok after 2 hours of 100% load, right?
Yeah, thats fine - about the same as mine (P4 1.8 @ 2.4)

powdersurge

HD Operating temperatures

Post by powdersurge » Tue Sep 17, 2002 3:05 pm

The same question kept me busy for a while.

I have a 1-platter Cuda as well - and I checked the specs @ Seagate's website.

According to the Data Sheet of Barracuda IV (20,40,60,80) it can take up to 60(!) degrees Celsius if you want it to live up to its MTBF.

That should give you some sort of comfort, although I think the cooler, the better. My NoVibes III arrived today, and I installed it into my new Lian Li PC-61 right away. I believe there is consensus that this is a cool case.

S.M.A.R.T. temperature reading before installing NoVibes was 26-28 (ambient: 21). The drive was mounted in the provided HD frame, which is cooled by -in my situation- 2 low speed 80mm ADDA fans. No other fans active (except PSU).

With NoVibes installed in a higher and no-air-flow 5.25 bay, the temperature shot up to the 37-40 range (ambient: 21). Still not that bad, but a significant increase, and leaving my a bit worried, I checked the review SPCR SmartDrive vs. NoVibes review, and their readings were in general even higher: mostly 40+.

Conclusion: Try to stay below the 45-50 range, so you still have a 10 degree margin. IDE hard drives don't have eternal life, and Seagate (and many other manufacturers) have reduced their warranty from 3 years to just 1. Just hope that it holds until a newer and much bigger/faster disk replaces it.

----

Thanks to the NoVibes solution, my HD is now 100% inaudible. I was happy with my prior lower temps, but that's the price for silence I have to pay. I guess I'll never know how the extra 10 degrees will affect the drive's life expectancy.

A better solution would be to fit the NoVibes horizontally in the Lian's cooled HD bay, but the frame is a tad to narrow -alas.