Where can I get a Laptop CDROM drive adapter to IDE?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mondabu

Where can I get a Laptop CDROM drive adapter to IDE?

Post by Mondabu » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:22 am

I built a mini ITX VIA EPIA system using the Castronic case which only has room for a slimline CDROM.
Does anyone know of an online retailer in Canada which carries adapters so that the drive may be connected to a standard IDE and power connectors?

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:28 pm

This may depend on the connector on the slimline CD ROM; I don't think they are standard. For example, we use Dell laptops, and their CD ROM drives use Dell-proprietary connectors (I'm pretty sure). So you may be looking for a different adapter depending on the CD ROM drive itself.

You may find that the CD ROM drive comes with a 'basic' or 'standard' connector, and then has an adapter to convert this standard connector to (eg) Dell specific. So you may be able to remove that. Or, you may be buying a 'base' CD ROM that is not laptop mfr specific.

Just some things to consider ...

Mondabu

I'm answering my own question!

Post by Mondabu » Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:59 pm

Well after many phone calls, I located these adapters in Canada for a good price. www.mlhsystems.com from Winnipeg Manitoba, they sell VIA EDEN and EPIA Motherboards, as well as Casetronic cases for mini-itx. They have the 50pin laptop CDROM drive to standard 40 pin IDE adapters required for use with the very small Casetronic case and Slim laptop drive. $14.95 CDN.

Every place I checked in the States wanted $25.00 US plus $20.00 US shipping!

Anyway, I thought I would put it out here so no one else need repeat my efforts.

:?

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:26 am

Can you give us the part number (better still, the url)? I searched the MLH systems web page, and could not find anything matching the description above - "50pin laptop CDROM drive to standard 40 pin IDE". I did find a 44 pin female to 40 pin male 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE drive adapter, for $10.95 CDN, part number CC2200, but I'm assuming that is quite different!

Mondabu

Post by Mondabu » Sun Dec 08, 2002 7:26 am

The Part is not on the website, call and ask for it by description. I should be recieving mine on Monday.

Mondabu

Post by Mondabu » Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:09 pm

Recieved 2 connectors today and installed them, works great.
The only caveat: There does not seem to be any way to change the drive from Master to slave, although 40 Pin IDE, Power and Audio connectors are all there.