Silencing a Hard Drive ?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bat

Post by Bat » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:52 pm

Perhaps go to a workshop where they do machining/fabrication and ask for some of their swarf. I imagine they usually sell it for scrap, so you might have to pay for it, but a few days ago I saw that the nominal world price for copper (ready to use, not scrap) is only about $1/kg.

Alternatively, www.goodfellow.com sell five different copper powders: particle sizes of 2, 50, 150, 500, 800 micron, and different shapes and purities. The website doesn't list prices though.

stevenmathers

Re: Silencing a Hard Drive ?

Post by stevenmathers » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:39 pm

tridion wrote:I have built myself a mini-itx system which is fanless. The only noise is the hard drive which I am looking into ways of silencing.

There is a SilentDrive enclosure which takes a 3.5in drive and then fits into a 5.25in bay. Unfortunately my mini-itx case is not big enough for a 5.25in bay so instead I was thinking - is there a similar product that takes a 2.5in drive and fits into a 3.5in bay ?

If so, could you give me the manufacturer and product name so that I can search for it in the uk.
I took the advice of a project on this board and I had fair success. I got a meter of that 'U' aliminium tube and screwed it to the sides of the drive (two tubes together was the height of the drive), then simply wrapped the drive in foam (except for the sides: heatsinks). then instead of in the drive bay, I tied the drive to the floor of the PC case where it is much cooler.

I think I halved the noise coming from my drive, maybe more. It wasnt very scientific, just quick and dirty, and cost about $2.

Of course now I can hear the fans in my antec TP PSU instead :( ...