Graphic card of Pentium D or CPU Upgrade

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

migel_prado

Graphic card of Pentium D or CPU Upgrade

Post by migel_prado » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:40 am

A while ago, I purchased a : Pentium D @ 2.80 Ghz, 2 Gigabytes DDR2 Ram, a P4M900-M7 FE mobo (with PCI-e), and a 450 watt power supply.

My question is what is the best graphics card out there that won't be bottlenecked by my processor? But I know my CPU sucks, so would it just be better to use the money I would have spent on the graphics card and buy a new CPU instead? I hope my current Cpu consist of 256 MB Gpu as in built!!!

If you answer my question, thanks!

washu

Re: Graphic card of Pentium D or CPU Upgrade

Post by washu » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:55 am

It really depends on what you want to do and what you have a budget for. What do you want to run that isn't working properly now? If you can post what you are trying to do then we can give you a better idea of what would be the most benefit.

While your CPU is old, the VIA Chrome graphics on your MB can only be described as terrible. Pretty much any PCIe graphics card would be a big improvement over that. There's lots of older games that would run fine on Pentium D with the right graphics card.

However there isn't a lot of point to upgrading such an old system. If you can afford it even a new Celeron or low end AMD APU based system will be a huge improvement in both CPU and graphics performance.

CA_Steve

Re: Graphic card of Pentium D or CPU Upgrade

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:31 am

As a comparision, here's the Pentium Extreme Edition 955 (3.46GHz) vs the Sandy Bridge (2011) Pentium G850. Figure your 2.8GHz dual core is 20% slower than what's shown for the Extreme. Unless you have some basic tasks (web browsing, email, MS Word, etc), I wouldn't throw more money at it.