WD Red or Seagate NAS

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Runes

WD Red or Seagate NAS

Post by Runes » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:33 am

What's the better drive?

They both claim silence; & I see the Red got a good review at SPCR, but all the reports of them failing in the newegg & amazon reviews make me tentitive since I won't be running RAID.

The main reason I'm looking at NAS designed drives is because they're marketed as having low vibration, heat, & noise. But reliabitily is also extremely important, which is why I'm also considering enterprise class drives (though from my understanding they're typically much louder).

The Seagate was released June this year, the WD July last year.

Drive info

WD Red
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/S ... 771442.pdf
Average acoustics (dBA)

Idle mode
3TB
23 db
2TB
23 db
1TB
21 db

Seek mode
3TB
24 db
2TB
24 db
1TB
22 db
Seagate NAS
http://www.seagate.com/files/www-conten ... 724684.pdf
Drive acoustics, sound power
Idle***
4TB
2.3 bels (typical)
2.4 bels (max)

3TB
2.3 bels (typical)
2.4 bels (max)

2TB
1.9 bels (typical)
2.0 bels (max)

Seek
4TB
2.5 bels (typical)
2.6 bels (max)

3TB
2.5 bels (typical)
2.6 bels (max)

2TB
2.1 bels (typical)
2.2 bels (max)

SilentISaid

Re: WD Red or Seagate NAS

Post by SilentISaid » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:40 am

I'll have to bump that as I'm exactly in the same position.

Waiting for the RED 4tb to kick in so that it can be compared to the seagate NAS 4tb.

also looking to put 6 of them in my box with similar char. I have the same silent graphic card. look at my silent monster post.

LazyBoy

Post by LazyBoy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:25 am

Runes wrote: They both claim silence; & I see the Red got a good review at SPCR, but all the reports of them failing in the newegg & amazon reviews make me tentitive since I won't be running RAID.
I've been looking at the 3TB Reds. The rate of failures at Newegg is scary, but the rate of failures at Amazon seems much lower. Newegg may have a shipping problem. I wanted to buy 3TB Reds from both, to get different batches, but now I may go all Amazon.

(Amazon combines the ratings of the various size Reds, so you have to search the reviews for "3TB".)

SilentISaid

Post by SilentISaid » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:14 pm

I bought a WD Red 4tb and a Seagate NAS HDD 4tb.

I'm not gonna give you any measures as I'm too lazy...

BUT

WD Red gets hotter and noisier than the seagate nas hdd.

So returned the red and bought 6 seagate nad hdd 4tb.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:11 am

I havent tested WD reds 4tb nor the Seasgate NAS 4tb, but i own Seagate 4TB ST4000DM000, not silent drives, but not loud either, good drives for a server, wondering what changes over the NAS version Seagate NAS 4TB ST4000VN000, either for my server for now its only Seagate, i read a online review that backs what you are saying about the 4tb WD red running hot and noisy, but waiting on SPCR review to see whats the veredict on this new storage drives.

HellDiverUK

Post by HellDiverUK » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:02 am

Abula wrote:I havent tested WD reds 4tb nor the Seasgate NAS 4tb, but i own Seagate 4TB ST4000DM000, not silent drives, but not loud either, good drives for a server, wondering what changes over the NAS version Seagate NAS 4TB ST4000VN000, either for my server for now its only Seagate, i read a online review that backs what you are saying about the 4tb WD red running hot and noisy, but waiting on SPCR review to see whats the veredict on this new storage drives.
I'm running the same Seagate drives in my NAS - I ripped mine out of retail boxed external drives.

Anecdotally, I find reliability of external drives is better, as they're well packed. The bare drive is on rubber mounts inside a plastic box, inside a foam pack, inside a cardboard box, and I buy from a local retailer so they haven't had an additional trip via courier.

I also don't care about warranty, I'm happy to gamble. I saved 50% compared to the OEM drive, so I can afford to buy another if I lose a drive.

I buy these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STBV400 ... B00BP5RL10 - which contain these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST4000D ... B00BF3IWP6 plus you get a handy little 12V 2A wall-wart. :)