Looking for Optical Drive Speed Utilities

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Looking for Optical Drive Speed Utilities

Post by merlin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:59 pm

I used to use nero drivespeed to control the speed of my cd/dvd drives to keep them quiet when used. However I don't know if there's a good alternative for this on blu ray drives. I just picked up a couple blu ray drives recently and they are pretty loud during blu ray playback. I suspect setting a max read speed of 1x or 2x would solve this issue. Does anyone have suggestions on good drive speed software since I assume nero doesn't do this anymore? (Unless the newer versions do, I'm currently on Nero 7 still)

Spoon Boy

Re: Looking for Optical Drive Speed Utilities

Post by Spoon Boy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:25 pm

Nero is not what determines the available write speed settings, it depends on a) the burner b) its firmware and c) the blank discs you use.
If all three components allow 1x speed you will be able to write at 1x using Nero.

Please check the details of your writer to see if this speed is generally available.
Regarding the firmware you should have a look at the website of your burner's manufacturer, they usually provide downloads of the firmware on the website - if you cannot find them you should contact them directly - different firmare versions may support different write speed settings.
As for the discs, they are usually labeled accordingly.
You could also contact the manufacturer of your burner to ask for preferred brands of blank discs.

I think that these days many blank discs really do have a minimum write speed of 4x but I am sure that, especially for professional or semi-professional audio recordings, there should be disc that will let you burn at 1x.

You can look up the write speed settings currently supported by your burner and firmware in the Nero InfoTool:

http://forum.my.nero.com/index.php?showtopic=8611

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Re: Looking for Optical Drive Speed Utilities

Post by merlin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:26 pm

I think you completely misunderstood my post. I'm talking about max read speed on a drive. Nero drivespeed was the tool that let you set this. I don't care about write speed at all.