Silence my WD Reds

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wermcran

Silence my WD Reds

Post by wermcran » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:16 am

Hi, this is my first post.

I love tinkering with my computer and I have rather strange tastes that I'm willing to pay to satisfy. My current mission is to have a very quiet deskptop that I also use as a server. I don't want to NAS because I want it all in one clean box.

My specs are Define r4 case, fanless CPU heat sinks, fanless PSU, ASUS GTX 660, 1 SSD, and 3 WD REDS. I like to have my case up on the my desk. Right now the only noticeable sound are my HHDs. I'd like to quiet them down.

I built this 4 sided box enclosure that I put on top of my lower HDD cage. It works a little, but not much. I'm looking into http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=S23-1082 cause they would fit my budget.

Some things I'm considering

1) 2 Silenx LXHDSS in my optical cages, 1 Silenx LXHDSSjust sitting on the floor of my case

2) 3 Silenx LXHDSS all stacked on top of each of there with silencing foam in between.

3) Some other option that you guys can teach me about.

Thanks so much.

edh

Re: Silence my WD Reds

Post by edh » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Have you thought of a custom made suspension system to hang your drives in spare 5.25" bays? This works very well for removing vibration which is the majority of modern hard disk noise. A good cheap material to use is sewing elastic and if you're clever with a couple of screws and some knots you can hang them in most cases without modification.

Here's a gallery of different implementations to give you ideas:
viewtopic.php?t=19147

CA_Steve

Re: Silence my WD Reds

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:40 pm

HDD enclosures can help reduce seek noise and suspension helps to remove vibration noise. Which problem(s) do you have?