WD new super-quiet HD SPCR most quiet FDB HD ever?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

WD new super-quiet HD SPCR most quiet FDB HD ever?

Post by dan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:25 pm

I still use windows xp, b/c I use a gigabyte iram 4gb which I can fit XP on, and my 775 still uses BIOS so for both I am limited to 2TB HD.

WD has an HD they claim is the quietest on the market. For you old-timers I believe SPCR said that the seagate barracuda 40gb was most quiet as it used the revolutionary then new FDB.

This isn't 2TB but 1TB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6541[quote]

WD Blue WD10SPCX 1TB 5400 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive

Learn more about the WD WD10SPCX
Model

Brand
WD

Series
WD Blue

Model
WD10SPCX

Performance

Interface
SATA 6.0Gb/s

Capacity
1TB

Cache
16MB

Average Latency
5.5ms

RPM
5400 RPM

Physical Spec

Form Factor
2.5"

Height (maximum)
7 mm

Width (maximum)
69.85mm

Length (maximum)
100.2mm

Features

Features
Low power consumption - State-of-the-art seeking algorithms and advanced power management features ensure low power consumption and long battery life.

Quiet - In a notebook drive, silence is golden. WD's exclusive noise reducing technologies yield one of the quietest 2.5-inch hard drives on the market.

The original - WD Blue drives are designed and manufactured with the proven technology found in WD's original award-winning hard drives.

WD quality - Built to the highest standards of quality and reliability, these drives offer the features and capacity ideal for your everyday computing needs.

Available SATA 6 Gb/s interface - The SATA 6 Gb/s interface provides greater flexibility for use with the latest operating systems as well as backwards compatibility to legacy systems with SATA 3 Gb/s requirements.

Compatible - Our latest generation of 7 mm 2.5-inch mobile drives is designed for thin and light mobile applications, and is also compatible with most standard 9.5 mm bays.

[/quote]

this product is so new that
Customer Reviews of the WD WD10SPCX
There are no reviews yet... do you own this product? Write a Review
so you can visit

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=800
Best-in-class acoustics.
WD's exclusive noise reducing technologies make the WD Blue 5 mm ultra-slim hard drive whisper quiet. At merely 15 decibels while idle and 17 decibels during seek operations on average, this drive is over 10 percent quieter than the closest competitor drive in its class.

WD is claiming this is 10 % quieter than the quietest HD money can buy.

at 15 decibels this thing would be virtually silent in a standard ATX 2-3 feet away in a quiet room at night in a quiet neighborhood (20 decibel floor)

strictly speaking this isn't the claims for the 7mm 1TB model

It be cool if SPCR can verify that this and the 7mm 1TB model is the quietest FDB in existence today.

Since Windows XP AND my bios/socket 775 only supports 2Tb bootable (and XP does not support GPT/GUID so no HD over 2 TB) 2Tb is the most I can support.

I'd like to see a 2TB 2.5" drive with this technology on 2-3 platters (not the 4-platter 500gb/platter 15mm WD drive)

Mr Spocko

Re: WD new super-quiet HD SPCR most quiet FDB HD ever?

Post by Mr Spocko » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:22 am

I was looking at this new drive for a few quiet builds I have coming up. Would be useful if anyone could share any experiences of it.
As far as I'm aware I've only seen 1.5TB drives in external form factor for 2.5" drives. I'm sure 2TB will turn up at some point for these drives.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Mr Spocko wrote:I was looking at this new drive for a few quiet builds I have coming up. Would be useful if anyone could share any experiences of it.
As far as I'm aware I've only seen 1.5TB drives in external form factor for 2.5" drives. I'm sure 2TB will turn up at some point for these drives.
http://www.wdc.com/en/company/pressroom ... 9bd8b5d771
Best-in-class Acoustics and Shock – WD’s best-in-class acoustics use technologies that reduce noise when the drive is active or idle. The WD Blue and WD Black 5 mm drives deliver unprecedented operation and non-operation shock specifications with 400 G and 1000G, respectively.
drive is so new that there does not appear to be any customer reviews. WD claims that 5mm 10% quieter than the quietest 2.5 drive on the market. And 2.5 on the market now are on average quieter than 3.5' drivers. So WD 5mm would be the quietest HD w/FDB

500gb 5mm is 1-platter so obviously it's 500gb/platter and the 7mm 1-tb is 2-platter

if they can increase the density to 667gb/platter and it scales linearly, then a 3-platter WD would be industry standard 9mm and 2Tb

newegg does sell both 1.5 and 2Tb 2.5 but both are non-standard 15mm high 4-platters.

:roll:

kater

Post by kater » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:49 am

dan

Post by dan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:57 pm

benchmarks performance

no mention of acoustics or power consumption

kater

Post by kater » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:51 pm

That's correct. And good! I wouldn't trust any other site but SPCR to test it for noise. Especially with WD's dB hype and all that. Would you? ;) As for power - perhaps there is 1 or 2 other sites I'd trust with that.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:03 am

kater wrote:That's correct. And good! I wouldn't trust any other site but SPCR to test it for noise. Especially with WD's dB hype and all that. Would you? ;) As for power - perhaps there is 1 or 2 other sites I'd trust with that.
hi!
if u have a fast SSD or iRAM as primary boot and want to use WD for slower mass storage,

given its 5400rpm and 100mb/s

do you think its performance is adequate or too slow?

I want adequate performance for a large storage device but as close to silence as possible for HD.

For silence I don't think it makes sense to buy an iRAM or SSD along with silent PSU quiet fans heat sinks video cards then couple it to a noisy 7200 or 10,000rpm HD

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:36 pm

In a desktop system, the question is if a quiet low RPM 2.5" HDD is quiet enough to justify the price premium over a quiet low RPM 3.5" HDD.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Vicotnik wrote:In a desktop system, the question is if a quiet low RPM 2.5" HDD is quiet enough to justify the price premium over a quiet low RPM 3.5" HDD.

true. based on other 2.5' models is it quiet enough to justify prcie premium over 3.5" HDD?

It's my understanding Seagate no longer sells 5400rpm and Samsung is no longer in the business.

So are 2.5" models quieter than WD Green to justify premium?

for 1TB prices all from newegg
2.5" samsung $79.99
3.5" WD $69.99

$10 price premium

WD 2.5" 7mm $129.99

going from 2.5" 9.5mm to 7mm results in increase $80 to $130 or $50 increase for 10% decrease in acoustics.

Mr Spocko

Post by Mr Spocko » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:31 am

I would tend to agree that the price premium for 2.5" HDD's is a lot less now. A few years ago it was too high for me, but now you can get a 1TB 2.5" HDD for not that much more v a 3.5" one. The only issue is if you want bigger 2TB HDD's you're stuck with 3.5" for now at least.

I'm considering replacing my 2x 3.5" HDD's with 2.5" ones

There is a Travelstar 7K1000 1TB 2.5 7200rpm on the market for sale from Hitachi, not used it but it's got a 32mb buffer and faster spindle speed. Other than that there is a Seagate model around too 750Gb, otherwise it's the WD normal 2.5" drives.
How they stack up performance wise hard to say, maybe the Hitachi would make a decent boot/OS drive and anything else would do for the second drive (I usually fit 2)