Seagate Desktop 4TB, any input?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NetTechie

Seagate Desktop 4TB, any input?

Post by NetTechie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:22 am

I've read around on these forums, and the Seagate Desktop ST4000DM000 4TB drive seems to be the recommended 4TB drive. Any input on these? Are 4TB drives slow compared with smaller drives? This seems the coolest running one, and cool means longevity I think. For price per TB, 4TB seems the best deal.

Edit: Looks like the 4TB are 5900rpm, hmm, that's gotta be slower than 7200rpm.

NetTechie

Re: Seagate Desktop 4TB, any input?

Post by NetTechie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Well, amazon got them back in stock today. I was reading newegg doesn't pack theirs very well, so I ordered from amazon with 2 day shipping so hopefully it wont be banged up by the time I get it.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:33 pm

They're pretty good drives IMO. Subjectively, they're only a little bit noisier than some WD Green 2TB (EARX) drives I was using before (makes sense, 5900RPM vs. 5400RPM). Vibration is about the same as well. No comment on temps, as I've got mine tucked inside a GUP Smart Drive enclosure (39 celcius at idle, tops out in the low 40's).

It makes the occasional chirping noise when the heads load/unload/park (whatever it's called), and there's a few seconds delay when it does this, but this seems to be par for the course nowadays. I've got no regrets buying these Seagate drives. :)

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:09 am

I'm staying away from 4TB drives, slower or faster these 5 platter jobs run hotter than their 3TB 4 platter counterparts. This is fine with a drive in a PC enclosure, but in an external all plastic tiny enclosure they are much more likely to run above their temp spec, resulting in shorter life.

PaulBags

Post by PaulBags » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:09 am

aristide1 wrote:I'm staying away from 4TB drives, slower or faster these 5 platter jobs run hotter than their 3TB 4 platter counterparts. This is fine with a drive in a PC enclosure, but in an external all plastic tiny enclosure they are much more likely to run above their temp spec, resulting in shorter life.
According to the specs ST4000DM000 is 4 platter.

I came here looking for a noise comparison between ST4000DM000 and WD40EZRX, WDs current green 4tb.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:53 pm

PaulBags wrote:
aristide1 wrote:I came here looking for a noise comparison between ST4000DM000 and WD40EZRX, WDs current green 4tb.
I own 8x Seagate 4tb and to me they are pretty good on my server, but i also dont have it near me nor i run a raid setup, the starting gets loud though, but after it loads up and only 1hdd is access to me its acceptable for none suspended hdds. There are other users on the forums that also had good experiences with them, weather or not they are better or worst than WD reds 4tb idk, usually WD greens and now reds are the standard for SPCR users, and even the recent reviews backs it up being a very quiet drive.

SPCR did review the Seagate 4tb but the NAS version, Seagate NAS HDD 4TB ST4000VN000-1H4168, in there you can see a comparation to the WD reds 4tb, given its not the same drive that you are looking, thats the closest you might get.

I recently bought a 3tb WD Red, and also pretty good, i cant hear it inside my synolongy diskstation, pretty good drive imo. I do have my doubts on the 4tb, back when i bought my seagates there were no 4tb reds, so i didnt have the trouble of chosing in between, now im wating for 5tb reds (that should been released on dic 2013) and seagates (if they releases them on 5900rpm), to upgrade my 2tbs, but for now im happy with both companies.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:02 pm

I've been running 10 in my file server in the basement for a couple of months now. So far so good, no complaints. Just like any other "green" drive they're quiet. They do make chirping noises every once in a while, not sure if that's head parking or what not, but otherwise they're quiet, and so far, only a few months in no bad sectors. I wouldn't worry about speed, having highest aerial density at 1TB/platter they're more than fast enough for storage. Just reporting positive experience so far, this may change if the drives start failing on me ;)