Looking to build or buy silent ext array 12 bay

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

boe

Looking to build or buy silent ext array 12 bay

Post by boe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:50 am

Hello,

I'm looking at a lot of solutions - thunderbolt 2, LSI, NAS or a PC with 12 4TB drives. What it comes down to is my need for a large amount of storage (4TB drives in each bay), excellent redundancy as I won't be backing it up, very good speed, and a nearly silent raid solution. I'm used to just buying dell arrays for work servers as there is no need to worry about noise in a server room. I've built all of my PCs to be nearly silent from a few feet away despite the high end processor and video cards and 8 drives in each.

I would definitely appreciate any experience you care to share as it may greatly reduce my research time on an ideal solution for my needs.

quest_for_silence

Re: Looking to build or buy silent ext array 12 bay

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:10 am

boe

Post by boe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:28 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Oldie, but perhaps "goldie": http://www.silentpcreview.com/Mid-Tower ... igurations

Thanks - if I built a PC instead of buying some sort of dedicated array, I think I'd go with the COSMO II although who knows when the Cosmos III will be out.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:56 am

boe wrote:if I built a PC instead of buying some sort of dedicated array, I think I'd go with the COSMO II although who knows when the Cosmos III will be out.

That whole article is not just a recommendations list, it may worth some tought and some second thought also.

boe

Post by boe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:11 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
boe wrote:if I built a PC instead of buying some sort of dedicated array, I think I'd go with the COSMO II although who knows when the Cosmos III will be out.

That whole article is not just a recommendations list, it may worth some tought and some second thought also.
THanks - I don't know much about options for quiet external arrays or NAS devices but I could build an entire new PC/server for about $4k