SPCR
http://silentpcreview.com/forums/

Decoupling/suspension (NoVibes) vs enclosure (Quiet Drive)
http://silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67829
Page 1 of 1

Author:  rpsgc [ Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Decoupling/suspension (NoVibes) vs enclosure (Quiet Drive)

Hi,

In your opinion, which would be the better choice?

  1. Decoupling/suspending the HDD in something like a NoVibes.
  2. Placing it inside an HDD enclosure, like a Scythe Quiet Drive.


For the record, I'm talking about a 7200rpm HDD.


Thanks.

Author:  CA_Steve [ Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Decoupling/suspension (NoVibes) vs enclosure (Quiet Driv

Is your problem seek noise or coupled vibration? That will determine the correct solution.

Author:  xan_user [ Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Decoupling/suspension (NoVibes) vs enclosure (Quiet Driv

im cheap. and not a fan of suspended drives. so i use option 3.

the foam packing that tower heat sinks come in, cut into 4 "U" channels that hold the drive in a 5.25 bay. airflow is as good as supended, but you can move/transport your rig without worrying about them.

Plus, its FREE and GREEN. :mrgreen:

Author:  rpsgc [ Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Decoupling/suspension (NoVibes) vs enclosure (Quiet Driv

CA_Steve wrote:
Is your problem seek noise or coupled vibration? That will determine the correct solution.


Well, according to spcr, my HDD scores a 7 in the vibration department, so I suppose vibration shouldn't be an issue. Seek noise, however, is an issue as this revision lacks AAM. I could hear it seeking even when suspended in my old Solo.

xan_user wrote:
im cheap. and not a fan of suspended drives. so i use option 3.

the foam packing that tower heat sinks come in, cut into 4 "U" channels that hold the drive in a 5.25 bay. airflow is as good as supended, but you can move/transport your rig without worrying about them.

Plus, its FREE and GREEN. :mrgreen:


Interdasting...

Do you have any pictures?

Author:  CA_Steve [ Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Decoupling/suspension (NoVibes) vs enclosure (Quiet Driv

rpsgc wrote:
Well, according to spcr, my HDD scores a 7 in the vibration department, so I suppose vibration shouldn't be an issue. Seek noise, however, is an issue as this revision lacks AAM. I could hear it seeking even when suspended in my old Solo.

Then you answered your question - enclose it.

Author:  xan_user [ Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Decoupling/suspension (NoVibes) vs enclosure (Quiet Driv

rpsgc wrote:

Do you have any pictures?

I sure wish i did. be so much easier to understand... i dont have any builds with spinning discs anymore. shoot i dont even have any cases with 5.25 bays anymore... i may have to do a mock up for SPCR -when summers over and the golf clubs are in the closet. :wink:

same kind of idea, different implementation; viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16086

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/