6TB WD Red [too] loud.. now what?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Copyright

6TB WD Red [too] loud.. now what?

Post by Copyright » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:02 pm

So got the 6TB Red installed and it's the only thing I hear in my whole pc when at idle or in light use. Sounds like a fan at about 900-1000 rpm.. just a whoosh sound. The seek noise isn't bad. Before the HD my system was damn near dead silent with case fans spinning at 400rpm and the CPU/video card fans stopping under light load or at idle. I have the drive mounted using some white Nexus drive mounts that use rubber isolators. Honestly the fit is so tight I don't think these do much good. Thinking of getting a Smart Drive enclosure.. I know they are expensive but I want my silence back. Advice please!

Copyright

Re: 6TB WD Red to loud.. now what?

Post by Copyright » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:29 pm

Well I just picked up a Used GrowUp Japan Smart Drive 2002C I am going to give that a try.

Copyright

Re: 6TB WD Red to loud.. now what?

Post by Copyright » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:44 am

The 2002C didn't remove as much noise as I had hoped but it did reduce it some. Drive runs really cool in the enclosure. Seek noise was greatly reduced but I can still hear the woosh sound although not bad.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: 6TB WD Red [too] loud.. now what?

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:19 pm

In one of our lab PCs, we have an older 7200rpm HDD in one of those Smart Drive enclosures -- the best of the breed, there's nothing better -- AND it's sitting on some foam on the bottom of the case. The drive may still be audible, but it's quiet enough we just don't notice.

That foam is needed for mechanical decoupling, which for a multi-platter 3.5" drive like your 6TB Red, probably helps more than the enclosing. Do some trials putting different types of foam underneath. You want it to be soft enough that it compresses a bit when the drive is atop, but doesn't bottom out. If you move the system a lot, then you'll need to get some 3/8" thick sorbothane & cut maybe 3/4" square pieces for each corner. If you don't handle it much, the stuff stays quite sticky/tacky and will cling on to both the bottom of the case as well as the drive (or drive enclosure in this case).