Seagate Enterprise NAS

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

davewolfs

Seagate Enterprise NAS

Post by davewolfs » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:35 am

Hey everyone,

Any thoughts on these drives? Any thoughts on how they might compare in terms of acoustics to say a WD RED? They seem to be rated for a similar Dba but are 7200RPM.

Thoughts?

QUIET!

Re: Seagate Enterprise NAS

Post by QUIET! » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:57 am

Chasing speed in a HDD is pointless if you can afford an SSD in your computer for data that you need to access quickly.

Ignoring noise and with all else equal, a slower drive is going to use less power so less heat, slower fans, etc. That is enough reason to be wary of 7,200 rpm in my opinion.

On the other hand, they might be really quiet, I don't know.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:27 pm

is this for a NAS?

davewolfs

Post by davewolfs » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:48 pm

For a file server/NAS. Initially I had thought of throwing it in my office but might make more sense to just put it in a closet or another room.

davewolfs

Post by davewolfs » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:49 pm

QUIET! wrote:Chasing speed in a HDD is pointless if you can afford an SSD in your computer for data that you need to access quickly.

Ignoring noise and with all else equal, a slower drive is going to use less power so less heat, slower fans, etc. That is enough reason to be wary of 7,200 rpm in my opinion.

On the other hand, they might be really quiet, I don't know.
The intent here is for storage. Unfortunately 4-6TB SSD's either don't exist or arent cost effective.

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:33 pm

So if it is network attached storage, how fast is the network and how many simultaneous requests might happen?

One time I was begging my IT guy to add a second NIC to the NAS because we had a router that could handle it and in certain circumstances when the network was grinding to a halt, it could have potentially doubled the throughput.

Short story short, it didn't happen and the network sucked pretty bad but it wasn't because the hard drives were not fast enough.

Unless your NAS and network are really hot stuff, local storage always trumps NAS for speed. Its only when you need data redundancy and sharing when NAS makes sense and then if you need speed, you do what you have to do.

Quiet operation is usually addressed with putting the server room somewhere that you won't hear it.

Any way, you are doing pretty well if you can saturate a gigabit Ethernet link with your NAS and today you don't need 7,200 rpm to do that.