Internal Silent Storage Help

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

arsenal009

Internal Silent Storage Help

Post by arsenal009 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:29 pm

Hey guys,

I currently have a 2TB Hitachi 5K3000 internal hard drive which I bought based on a recommendation from this site a few years ago.

I am currently looking for an additional silent hard drive. Can you guys recommend me anything in the 3TB - 4TB range?

Thanks
Last edited by arsenal009 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Re: Internal Silent Storage Help

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:29 am

arsenal009 wrote:Can you guys recommend me anything in the 3TB - 4TB range?

WD Green/Red/Purple, the 3TB is a touch quieter than 4TB, Purple/Purple NV are slightly quieter than Green/Red (but not the 3TB model, where Purple and Red are apparently quieter than Green), particularly in seek.
If you should go for Green ones, remember to disable the heads auto-parking feature with the utility wdidle3.

arsenal009

Post by arsenal009 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:19 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:

WD Green/Red/Purple, the 3TB is a touch quieter than 4TB, Purple/Purple NV are slightly quieter than Green/Red (but not the 3TB model, where Purple and Red are apparently quieter than Green), particularly in seek.
If you should go for Green ones, remember to disable the heads auto-parking feature with the utility wdidle3.

I've had a couple WD drives die on me in the past :s
Can you recommend me something else?

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:43 pm

arsenal009 wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:

I've had a couple WD drives die on me in the past :s
Can you recommend me something else?
One thing you can count on hdds is that they will fail, no matter the brand, model or price. I have had multiple WD (4) fail on me, seagate (3), samsung (2) and hitachi (6), only maxtor i can recall didnt fail, probably would have fail in time, but never did on time i used it. Either way its best to not hold grudges into hdds manufacturers, get whatever is good that gen and always backup.

Atm the quietest drives are WD, green/red are the usual favorites among SPCR users, but if you still dont want to buy WD, the only mayor manufacturer is Seagate, check the following,
Seagate Barracuda 3TB: 1TB Platter Behemoth
Seagate NAS HDD 4TB
Niether will be as quiet as the WD though.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:27 pm

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:50 pm

arsenal009 wrote:Can you recommend me something else?

Unfortunately HDD market suffers of a severe lack of competition (several players has gone out of business or they have been acquired), so no, I can't recommend anything else.

If you want to stick with Hitachi (though personally I won't recommend it over any the quoted WD, neither noise wise, nor performance wise), AFAIK your 5K3000s are still produced in an updated form: look for the HGST Internal Drive Kit, Coolspin version, the SKU may vary according to your location, but the model numbers always begin with "H3IK30003254" for the 3TB model, and "H3IK40003254" for the 4TB variant. Obviously I can't say whether it may be as reliable as your originary 5K3000.

There's also the MegaScale 4000.B from HGST, in the same rotational range, which also shines in BackBlaze reliability surveys, but it will cost 300 bucks a pop, and with reference to noise your mileage may vary (to be clear: more probably that not it is audibly noisier than WD drives).

arsenal009

Post by arsenal009 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:53 am

Ok great, thanks for all the suggestions guys :)