Western Digital Black 4TB (WD4004FZWX ) Vibrations

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sata

Western Digital Black 4TB (WD4004FZWX ) Vibrations

Post by sata » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:36 am

I just bought and installed 2 WD Black 4TB 128MB (model WD4004FZWX)

For a new build on an In Win 805 case.

The drives are loud compared to my old computer (also WD drives but don't remember the model)

I hear the 'clicking' noise (when its copying files for example) but that does not bother me

I hear a constant loud 'hum' which is very bothering, and does not seem normal.

The HDDs are in a cage, each drive is held by some screws, which 4 of them include small rubbery circle, probably in order to absorb some vibrations.

Is there a way to absorb and make the 'hum' noise less audible?

I thought about some thin anti vibration strip that will replace the 4 small ones I have, as I don't have room between the HDDs and the cage itself.

What do you think?

CA_Steve

Re: Western Digital Black 4TB (WD4004FZWX ) Vibrations

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

Hum is usually the result of HDD vibration causing the case to resonate. So, decoupling the HDDs from the case is the best way to reduce/remove the hum. Here are some things you can do to check this out:

- Put a finger on the hard drive cage and see if the hum is reduced. It could be that the cage itself isn't stiff enough and just adding a bit of additional pressure dampens thing out. Perhaps adding dampening rubber in the edges/corners where the cage meets the case may help.

- Put a finger on the drives and see if the hum is reduced. If so, then maybe, just maybe, adding better isolation rubber can help.

- Take the drives out of the cage and place them on soft sponges on the floor of the case and see if the hum goes away.

The best solution would be to not mount the HDDs in the cage, and instead hang them from the top of the case using elastic bands...there's a couple of forum threads on this. Don't know if your case has any available holes on top for the elastic to go through.

sata

Post by sata » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:02 pm

When I put pressure on the cage or press where its attached with screws, the hum is reduced and also changes somewhat

The best solution for me is to add some dampening rubber, and and not the other option

But can you link to somewhere which sells this type of isolation / dampening rubber? I want to know what to ask for in stores, not sure where to look for

Thanks

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:02 am

Sorbothane is the best material to look for - but it is pricey. You can find it at Amazon, ebay, etc..

sata

Post by sata » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:55 am

What do you think of Sorbothane Strip? I found it while looking for some solutions that will fit
or this instead? https://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Drive ... merReviews

Or both? these are not so cheap products so I want to know what will be more effective from the two, any idea?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:48 am

My only suggestion for the drives in the cage is to go with the thickest material that will fit.

For the cage to case interface...you could try jamming some cardboard in there and see if the added rigidity reduces that part of the transmitted resonance.