Samsung HD502HI clicking noise and delay

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

toronado455

Samsung HD502HI clicking noise and delay

Post by toronado455 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:31 pm

I have 2 Samsung HD502HI (500GB) drives at least one of which (not sure which one or both) is/are occasionally having a delay when accessing and then I will hear clicking noises after which everything seems fine.

This never was an issue previously in all the years I've owned and used these drives. This behavior just started in the last 12-18 months or so. I moved the drives into a new build and reformatted them, but the problem seems to continue or even a bit worse.

Is there something wrong with my drive/drives, or is there a setting I can get into that would allow me to tweek?

lodestar

Re: Samsung HD502HI clicking noise and delay

Post by lodestar » Sat May 06, 2017 7:47 am

Maybe you ought to consider moving on to to SSD drives. The Samsung Evo 500Gb for example is now reasonably priced, will resolve your current issues and give somewhat better performance.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sat May 06, 2017 8:30 am

I would backup the data, then run the disk through the Samsung diagnostic program and see what it says. It's included on the very handy Ultimate Boot CD (works from USB).
If the program cannot find the HDD, change the SATA IDE/AHCI/RAID setting to IDE in the BIOS. Change it back after testing.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:12 am

Which Samsung tool do you recommend? There are few different Samsung tools on the Ultimate Boot CD... ES Tool, Shdiag, and HUTIL, (none of them list my specific drives as target models on the WayBackMachine web pages that are linked.)

What exactly am I looking for? It seems to me that perhaps the heads are parking (or the drives are spinning down) and the clicking noise is what I'm hearing when the heads unpark, but this is just speculation at the moment.
lodestar wrote:Maybe you ought to consider moving on to to SSD drives.
I would not use an SSD for critical data storage.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sat May 06, 2017 10:37 am

I can never remember what tool to use, so I try them until I find the right one. Usually there's a few possible candidates, for example a feature tool, a diagnostics tool for older drives and a diagnostics tool for newer drives.

There's usually two tests, the short one and the long one. The short one should be enough for your issue, it tests spin down, spin up and a short random access test I think. Takes a few minutes. The long one checks the whole surface and take hours.