High capacity HDDs

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tilltech

High capacity HDDs

Post by Tilltech » Sun May 28, 2017 9:26 am

I've noticed that Seagate BarraCuda Pro 6TB is a lot more expensive than Seagate SkyHawk Guardian Surveillance, also 6TB. Features of both seem to be the same, SATA3, 7200rpm.

Is there any reason for that?
If you just want HDD for storage should you get the surveillance one, although it will never be used for that purpose..

Abula

Re: High capacity HDDs

Post by Abula » Sun May 28, 2017 5:04 pm

One thing that you need to keep in mind is that Seagate is marketing their Barracuda PRO line as their top end in terms of speed, kinda like WD Blacks, they not only have different firmware but also different specs all around,

Seagate 6TB BarraCuda Pro 7200 rpm SATA III 3.5" Internal HDD $240, Transfer 220MB/s, Cache 256MB, Warranty 5 years
Seagate 6TB SkyHawk SATA III 3.5" Internal HDD $213, Transfer 195MB/s, Cache 256MB, Warranty 3 years
Seagate 6TB IronWolf 7200 rpm SATA III 3.5" Internal NAS HDD $210, Transfer 195MB/s, Cache 128MB, Warranty 3 years

Now about the Surveillance, usually WD and Seagate on their Surveillance HDD have firmware that its intended for the behavior of NVRs, that usually write constantly and stop and again and again. Weather the firmware makes it different to the point its not recommended for storage... i really don't know. Atm im using a WD 4tb purple for storage on my HTPC, because i upgraded my surveillance server (CAMMI) to a WD 6TB purple, i haven't seen any issues or less or more noise than a WD red, that said, i wouldn't buy a surveillance hdd over a traditional hdd for storage purposes, who knows over time if the firmware can affect it. If you want to go with Seagate my suggestion is go with Ironwolf, its even cheaper than Barracuda Pro and Skyhawk.

Tilltech

Post by Tilltech » Sun May 28, 2017 5:22 pm

It says that Ironwolf is a NAS HDD, does that make any difference?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun May 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Tilltech wrote:It says that Ironwolf is a NAS HDD, does that make any difference?
Usually NAS drives come with things that are needed for RAID, but IIRC there is nothing bad for average users, if the hdd is for storage purposes i think the fine to go with Ironwolf, if you are using it for OS/Programs, then go with Barracuda Pro.