Can anyone recommend a quiet Cooler for celeron 1.4Ghz ?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nam

Can anyone recommend a quiet Cooler for celeron 1.4Ghz ?

Post by nam » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:50 am

As title

Thanks in advance

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:50 am

Thermalright SLK-800. It's the absolute bomb. Best performing Socket 370 heatsink you can buy. The overclockers love it and it works great for us quiet guys too. It cools great so you can run a very low speed (or maybe no fan at all depending of your CPU and case airflow) fan and still keep your CPU cool. I guarantee that you can run a Panaflo L1A on this HSF and keep your proc very cool. You can probably run it at 7 volts and still be fine.

Read all the reviews of that HS that are linked on Thermalrights' page, including the one linked here to SPCReview.

Cheapest place to get it is here.

If you want to save a little money you can get the Thermalright SK-7 which is damn-near as good as the SLK-800 for about $5-10 less.

nam

Post by nam » Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:25 am

Hi

Thanks for that will definately look at getting one of those SLK-800, we don't have panaflow fans in the UK, only Ystechs or Pabsts. I guess i will probably get the quiet 80mm Ystech, Avaliable here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ ... ns_60.html.

another quick question

As the standard quiet ystech fan is a 3pin fan, how can i 7v this?

Thanks in advance

[/url]

Kenneth

7V on a 3-pin fan

Post by Kenneth » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:54 am

nam wrote: another quick question

Thanks in advance

[/url]
Hi,

To 7V a 3-pin, the easiest way is to use a 4-pin power connector(like you use for HD's, & CD-roms), and then use the +12V for "+" and the +5V as the ground. This will result in 7V. U'll have to connect the fan speed seperately to your MB.

Another way could be to insert(solder) a resistor on the power wire to the fan, but somebody with a better knowledge of electronics will have to calculate the required resistance, and wattage og the resistor(a "standard" size resistor will be destroyed by the current).

Have fun
Kenneth

nam

Re: 7V on a 3-pin fan

Post by nam » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:27 am

Kenneth wrote:
nam wrote: another quick question

Thanks in advance

[/url]
Hi,

To 7V a 3-pin, the easiest way is to use a 4-pin power connector(like you use for HD's, & CD-roms), and then use the +12V for "+" and the +5V as the ground. This will result in 7V. U'll have to connect the fan speed seperately to your MB.

Another way could be to insert(solder) a resistor on the power wire to the fan, but somebody with a better knowledge of electronics will have to calculate the required resistance, and wattage og the resistor(a "standard" size resistor will be destroyed by the current).

Have fun
Kenneth
Hi

You mentioned connecting the fan speed separately, how is this done please?, also would you know which tail i should get for the panaflow 3pin or 4 pin to ensure it can be 7v modded ?

Thanks in advance
:)

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:13 pm

Wait...is your Celeron a P4 celeron, or a Tutalin/P3 Celeron? AFAIK, they don't make a P4 SLK-800.

SilentButDeadly

Post by SilentButDeadly » Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:07 pm

Thermalright is making a new heatsink called the SLK-900 for the P4 and Athlons. The monster (570 gram) solid copper beast uses a 92mm fan! :shock: :lol: :twisted: When I go with a Barton cored Athlon (new computer) I will put the SLK-900 gigantisorus on the CPU.

nam

Post by nam » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:53 am

TheMuffinMan wrote:Wait...is your Celeron a P4 celeron, or a Tutalin/P3 Celeron? AFAIK, they don't make a P4 SLK-800.
Its a celeron (socket 370). accorinding to ralf above it sould work, Can anyone answer this ?

Thanks

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:04 am

nam wrote:
TheMuffinMan wrote:Wait...is your Celeron a P4 celeron, or a Tutalin/P3 Celeron? AFAIK, they don't make a P4 SLK-800.
Its a celeron (socket 370). accorinding to ralf above it sould work, Can anyone answer this ?

Thanks
Yes, it will work fine. Please trust me one this, I know what I'm talking about.

Forget about the "P4 Celeron" comment, Intel doesn't make a 1.4Ghz P4-based Celeron. Those start at 1.7Ghz.

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:22 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:Forget about the "P4 Celeron" comment, Intel doesn't make a 1.4Ghz P4-based Celeron. Those start at 1.7Ghz.
Really? Guess I'm wrong...

nam

Post by nam » Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:03 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
nam wrote:

Thanks
Yes, it will work fine. Please trust me one this, I know what I'm talking about.

Forget about the "P4 Celeron" comment, Intel doesn't make a 1.4Ghz P4-based Celeron. Those start at 1.7Ghz.
Hi

Thanks for clearing that up, what i am still unsure about is the fan monitoring, how can this still be done when i have 7v the panaflo ?

Thanks

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:08 am

nam wrote:.................what i am still unsure about is the fan monitoring, how can this still be done when i have 7v the panaflo ?

Thanks
You can't. L1A Panaflos (and most other Panaflos that are easily available) do not have rpm monitoring capabilities. You'd have to look for another quiet 80mm fan with an rpm sensor. The 18cfm NMBs have them, maybe one of the Papsts also?

nam

Post by nam » Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:31 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:
nam wrote:.................what i am still unsure about is the fan monitoring, how can this still be done when i have 7v the panaflo ?

Thanks
You can't. L1A Panaflos (and most other Panaflos that are easily available) do not have rpm monitoring capabilities. You'd have to look for another quiet 80mm fan with an rpm sensor. The 18cfm NMBs have them, maybe one of the Papsts also?
Thanks Ralf

I don't know if i mentioned this before but i am running this celeron 1.4 in a slot-t adapter for a slot1 mobo, when looking at the measurements it seems the SLK-800 is a lot bigger and may not fit, has anyone else done this ?

Thanks

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:54 pm

If it doesn't, go for one of the smaller Thermalrights - basically, all of them cool really well. I know I have an sk-6 that I really, really like and it does a great job cooling my athlon 1500+. It's also extremely small, which was one of the reasons I got it since I was working with limited space in the case.

Break out a ruler, and find out how much space you have. make sure to look for any capacitors or other electronics that may get in the way - it's easy to overlook them when you're measuring sometimes.