This guy lapped his Pentium 4 and got 5 deg cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GamingGod

This guy lapped his Pentium 4 and got 5 deg cooler

Post by GamingGod » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:48 am

its on www.overclockers.com sorry I cant link directly to the article but its right there on the front page. Its under February 16, click the "a lot of pictures to show" link

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:04 am

Could change it to this : http://www.overclockers.com/articles706/ .

Looks good, but would have liked some mention of ambient temps. Im sure he took it into account, but it jus crossed my mind that he might have tested temps sometime, spent all evening lapping his CPU, then got 5*C cooler after checking the temps at 1am, forgetting that it probably cooler in his room anyway :roll:

Hmm, too cynical for my own good! hehe :)

jhh

Post by jhh » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:18 am

So then why don't Intel etc spend a few extra $ and make super-flat heat spreaders for their cpus? Going off this must be good for an extra 5% performance at least.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:11 pm

jhh wrote:So then why don't Intel etc spend a few extra $ and make super-flat heat spreaders for their cpus? Going off this must be good for an extra 5% performance at least.
You can improve cooling performance even more by removing the P4 heatspreader altogether. It's there for a variety of reasons, but improving cooling isn't one of them

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:53 pm

Rusty075 wrote: You can improve cooling performance even more by removing the P4 heatspreader altogether. It's there for a variety of reasons, but improving cooling isn't one of them
It could help but you may crush P4 CPU die because there is nothing protecting it anymore. AMD CPU has 4 rubber pads to prevent too much pressure being put on.

So how are you going protect your CPU now? pads? it would have to be of the perfect size and have enuff spring to avoid too much pressure being put on it. HS for P4 adds so much pressure on the CPU without the spreader it would simply just crush your CPU. What I am trying to get across heatsinks are designed to work with the heat spreader and without it you are doomed. You would probably also need a custom HS too for this to work effectively. :)

Back to the main point it seems lapping does work. I suppose it gives it the extra flatness to transfer more heat effectively and also you are actually making the heat spreader thinner it some parts so allowing for closer contact with the actual CPU, instead of its solid shell.

I won't do it because it voids the warranty, but I give it a year or so and will certainly have a go at it.