Mainboard temperture sensor, where is it?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Mainboard temperture sensor, where is it?

Post by ez2remember » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:52 am

This is what I would like to know, where is the mainboard temperture sensor usually located? The reason I ask because I got some really strange figures.

My CPU temps idle around 40-42C and underload it goes upto 47C. I know this is correct sensor because if I increase the voltage of the fan this temperture drops accordingly with Zalman fanmate.
However my mainboard temps are 42-45C idle and shoots upto 55C underload. So my mainboard really heats up bad for some strange reason, but the air inside my case is nowhere near that region!

I am using HMonitor.

This is a ECS elite P4VXAD+ mainboard (quite a cheap mainboard), could it just be it is badly designed and they placed the sensor say next to northbrigde or southbridge heatsink (tiny heatsinks) which are causing the figures to rocket.

I really don't mind because it's 100% stable, the comp is on 24hrs a day and under heavy loads many times. It just baffles me why my mainboard temps are higher than that of my CPU.

I REPEAT THE AIR INSIDE MY CASE DOES NOT FEEL ANYWHERE NEAR THIS REGION! It is not even that warm, I would guess it to be about 30C.

Please help me solve my mystery.. :D :D

PS. Oh by the way does anyone know how to set the jumpers to 1.525v and 1.550v respectively? It has a 9 pin jumpers (3 by 3) but the manual is the worst I have seen with regards to changing the voltage. I have played around with it a bit but cannot figure how to get these voltages.

jpsa

Post by jpsa » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:50 am

I dont know how p4 work but if that was an athlon my guess would be that you are geting 2 readings for the cpu: - the internal temperature sensor; and the cpu temperature sensor located on the board.
the highest temperature your system (board) sensor should be getting is arround 35ºC. hope it helped :)

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:12 am

jpsa wrote:I dont know how p4 work but if that was an athlon my guess would be that you are geting 2 readings for the cpu: - the internal temperature sensor; and the cpu temperature sensor located on the board.
True for Athlons, but Pentium boards dont have a temp sensor under the chip...

I would also like to know where the mobo sensor is (Epox 4dba2+)... :?