Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bbzidane

Need recommendation to replace my retail amd hsf

Post by bbzidane » Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:35 am

Hi all,
I'm a newbie that just registered here

I hope someone here can help solve my problem

I find my retail hsf that came with my amdxp 1800+ to be too noisy, makes this whining noise (don't know how to discribe it) and it's annoying the heck out of me

The computer is in the same room as my bed and I have the computer on 24/7 (I live in a dorm room)

This normally wouldn't be a problem cause I would just get a big hsf with a quiet fan, but I'm using a matx board in a small matx that does not provide much clearance for a big hsf
The cdrom drive prevents me from getting anything too wide or too tall.

Would it be enough to replace the fan along, with like a thermaltake 60mm fan, or does anyone know of a small hsf with enough cooling for an xp 1800+

I currently hit a max of 50 celsius and normally hover around 42-48 (not much cooling in my case)

specs:
Asus a7n266-vm
Amd xp 1800+
512 PC2700 DDR
Inwin IW-L545
Pioneer dvd-rom 117
Generic floppy
Everything else onboard (nic, sound, vid)

any suggestions?

Thanx

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:11 am

If its a retail XP heatsink, this is what I did. I took a 80mm Panaflo 80M model and secured just one corner down and let the rest hang off the board towards the Northbridge. It kept the temps down and let air hit the center of the XP chip instead of creating a deadzone underneith the center of the fan. Fan dimensions are 80x80x25.

A ThermalTake 60 fan is really quiet too, I used that on top of a Themoengine Heatsink for a while, its demensions are smaller, 60x60x25. So if you need something that fits that's a quiet bet.

You're not gonna find much quieter in the 60x60x15 range though. Lastly, check the other fans in the system too, if you got smaller fans on the Northbridge (my P4 Board's loudest thing was the chipset fan and I didn't realize it until the end) or the Graphics Card, they tend to have higher frequency noise and could be what's bothering you.

bbzidane

Post by bbzidane » Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:47 pm

Thanks for the reply

I only have two fans in the my system, the one in the psu and the cpu fan
There is only a passive heatsink on my northbridge

At the moment, the heatsink on the cpu and on the northbridge is rather warm, since I took out the 60mm exhaust fan in the back (was too noisy)

Would a blowhole on the side of my comp aiming at the cpu work best?