Opinions on best cooler for i7-4790k?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jatismara

Opinions on best cooler for i7-4790k?

Post by Jatismara » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:15 am

I need one a quiet as possible, but hopefully as small as possible. Meaning I don't want a huge monster that blocks RAM, PCIe slots, and so on. Any suggestions?

CA_Steve

Re: Opinions on best cooler for i7-4790k?

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:25 am

Are you overclocking/overvolting the cpu?
What's your case?

Japanese Capacitor

Re: Opinions on best cooler for i7-4790k?

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:49 am

In terms of compatibility, better tell, what is your motherboard, ram modules and case or any possible incompatiblity you see ;) And maybe some other reasons, why you want a cooler as small as possible.

A little simplyfying, but the bigger the cooler, the quieter it can get in real-life usage. There's overall tendency, that small coolers in type of Pure Rock 2 or Noctua U12S need to always run their fans faster to make up tiny radiator size. Most reviews won't show you that, because they test maximum cooling capabilities and noise when running full speed, some normalize all to some rather higher noise level. One of the most expensive traps from this kind is Dark Rock Slim - cooling capabilities as expected from tiny one, noise chart-topper when full speed compared, but in reality bigger and louder coolers will provide the same temps much quieter.