Amec Thermasol Flat Cool Pipes

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

coppertubing

Re: Amec Thermasol Flat Cool Pipes

Post by coppertubing » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:28 pm

I tried PM as well but no luck.

Yes I have plenty of the flatpipes. Let me know how many you want and where to send them. I will quote you price.

coppertubing

Post by coppertubing » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:11 am

Here is another build with the flat heatpipes. This time I used a black Habey EMC-600 case with Foxconn H67 mobo and Intel i3-2100T. Heatsinks are mounted on top of the case with the heatpipes running from the cpu up to the inside of the lid. Heat transfer is good, as the entire case acts as a sink, with the top mounted heatsinks dissipating upward.

This setup and my previous one are both completely silent since they use SSDs. They have been running 24/7 for the past 6 months and performing various duties with no problems from heat.

vtaylor

Post by vtaylor » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 am

Salut coppertubing

Came across this by accident (sort of - I was googling for flat coolpipes) - would you have any pipes left, please ?

I'll PM you as well.

FYI I plan on upgrading the D201GLY2 in my audio PC - HFX Micro M2 case. The current heatpipe arrangement is fiddly to get good contacts and the D2550MUD2 board I've ordered appears to have the proc well placed.

Thanks and @+

Vernon

bobb

Post by bobb » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:08 pm

An update to this thread, the Thermasols are obtainable, today, by single pieces in the U.S. and I assume the U.K. where it's made, is also available to the rest of the E.U.

This THREAD.

They "should" be relatively easier to work with as it requires no fitting aluminum/copper blocks.

Please post your handiwork in the gallery when ur done with ur project.

grant2

Post by grant2 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:33 am

How do you guys bend your pipes? My 2mm thick x 40mm wide pipes and they seem relatively stiff.

Edit: I made a wooden jig to bend to specific dimensions. For freehand bends, I used my thumb to lever the center of a bend.

grant2

Post by grant2 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:54 pm

I just installed a 2mm thick x 40mm wide x 400mm long pipe vertically (i.e., the sipes are on top of each other instead of beside each other) and the performance is atrocious.

directly over the chip the pipe is scalding hot, but a mere few inches away the pipe is completely cool. (temp sensor says 105c !, which is its throttle temp). The heat transfer is worse than solid metal.

bobb

Post by bobb » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:04 am

grant2 wrote:How do you guys bend your pipes? My 2mm thick x 40mm wide pipes and they seem relatively stiff.

Edit: I made a wooden jig to bend to specific dimensions. For freehand bends, I used my thumb to lever the center of a bend.

Following the guideline for minimum bend diameter, I too made a jig, really just a piece of wood the same width as the pipe the edge rounded off with a router that's the support, then one end I had it clamped to my work table, and the other end I fashioned a wide-tongue clamp where I can hold it with both hands and push against the support piece. It didn't come out like perfect but good enough. I was surprised it was softer that I imagined.

Loving it, my boxe is barely lukewarm.

bobb

Post by bobb » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:05 am

grant2 wrote:I just installed a 2mm thick x 40mm wide x 400mm long pipe vertically (i.e., the sipes are on top of each other instead of beside each other) and the performance is atrocious.

directly over the chip the pipe is scalding hot, but a mere few inches away the pipe is completely cool. (temp sensor says 105c !, which is its throttle temp). The heat transfer is worse than solid metal.

Do u have a picture? U maybe have a faulty pipe.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:07 pm

bobb wrote:
grant2 wrote:I just installed a 2mm thick x 40mm wide x 400mm long pipe vertically (i.e., the sipes are on top of each other instead of beside each other) and the performance is atrocious.

Do u have a picture? U maybe have a faulty pipe.
yeah. i read that post and was lost too. visuals would help..

grant2

Post by grant2 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:38 pm

bobb wrote:Do u have a picture? U maybe have a faulty pipe.
The pipe is fine.

The issue is that these heatpipes are *terrible* when used horizontally. They work well when they're vertical. You NEED gravitational assist to make them go.

I'm working on the build still, and I'll post pictures once i'm kind of satisfied with it.